FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By CarnivorousMrsBanks
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum from Louisville, KY.
I got a VFT on Mother's day from Meijer and left it at my Mother in Law's house on accident. She forgot to water it, I thought it was dead but, thankfully my brother in law checked the roots, repotted it, brought it back to life and then gifted it back to me once it was growing again.
Since then, it started growing some mold for some reason (I was also keeping it inside in my windowsill, it got big red and gorgeous). To keep it from rotting, I obviously reported it and found it was now 3 medium sized plants and one small one.

Fast forward 6 months and i've developed a slight obsession, and I ended up ordering 8 drosera off of the Carnivorous plant nursery. (Typical capensis, marston's dragon, spatulata, intermedia/possibly didn't survive shipping, filliformis, and the other ones are forked I believe)
I bought a very small greenhouse that they're all in and were thriving in for 2 days before an extra cold night seemed to send them all into dormancy.
Now i'm a little bored for the winter, so I had to place and order from Predatory plants and bought a new albino capensis, and a red capensis and red fly trap to go with it.
I'm fairly taken by this new habit. I just requested my first seeds from the bank and am excited to have a go and that.
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum,
Mrs.Banks
By Bradley_D
LOL!! You sound like you’re having as tough a time as I am trying to hold back from spending my whole salary on cps. I’ve been doing it for nearly 5 months now and have 22 a
carnivorous plants and 17 of them are different types so I know the struggle :)
Bradley_D liked this
By crys331
Wow, you sound like me with CP's. Bought my first couple of sarracenia's off of ebay, got a VFT from Lowe's and made a bog this was 2 years ago. I was happy with that for a little while. Then found out a fellow friend was selling some of his sarra's so I bought 15 different kinds from him, a D. Florida giant and some D. traci seeds (last year). Now fast forward everything is doing great and I have started VFT seeds, several Drosera seeds and have some new Drosera plants. Now I would love to add pings and utricularia to my collection. I think I need an intervention!
By CarnivorousMrsBanks
Haha sounds as if these things are addicting for a lot of us!
I'm a little discouraged about my outdoor greenhouse. This weird fluctuating weather has been really hard on them, I think.
However, my 3 new babies (Capensis red, Capensis albino, and my red vft) are doing great on my windowsill for now.
I definitely want to get some pings and maybe a cephalotus.
Discouraging to think that 8 of my plants may not make it through! I guess only time will tell what spring may bring!
By CarnivorousMrsBanks
I have a Marston's dragon, a d. Capensis, giant forked sundew, a spatulata, d. Tracyi, an albino, and a couple vft that may not have survived the polar vortex. My filliformis is the only one that appears to have a hibernacula and my albino just recently started kinda wilting.

Also, I think the cephs are probably the coolest looking pitcher plants, imo. I definitely want to find one but they're a little pricey. Especially with my dicey luck so far haha.
By CarnivorousMrsBanks
I feel like a lot of the information you find online is so contradictory that it's hard to know what's right.
I'm pretty hesitant to leave any of my plants outside next year. We shall see what pulls through and i'll definitely be getting some growlights for next year.
On the bright side, it looks like the survivors are starting to come out of dormancy for the year.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same thi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!