FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By carelerasmus
Ive never grown CP's with artificial lighting, but after about +-2 years of growing them, I finally need to do just that... I've just moved into a hostel at an university, and I fear that my room wont get nearly enough light for healthy venus flytraps and sarracenias... So now the question...does the attached products sound like it would be enough?

Ps. Growing outside wont be an option unfortunately....Image

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By Doublebass1985
Well it states it's 240 volts. You won't be able to get that in a hostel unless you have a hook up to a dryer outlet. There might be a step up transformer to run it built it in the cord I don't know, but if you could run it I would guess it's probably around 1200 lumens maybe less. Plus it only states 50 hz so it's European only it looks like. Actually I think they run 240v in regular house sockets over there, but the plug will be European prong. There are adapters however I find it weird it's not rated for 120 volts too. It must not be UL , CE certified possibly I would be a little cautious buying something electrical that hasn't been certified if that is the case. It might be fine for growing a chachachachia pet ,but probably not ideal enough to grow cps.
By CarnivorousChick
Hey there! I don't think that will be enough light or wattage output for your plants. VFTs need at least 4 40watt t5 or t8 FLORESCENT lighting at 3000k. That would be white or go higher with 6500k Daylight lights.
Here are a few buying options. Note these can be bought in smaller 2ft versions.... just more bigger number of bulbs needed in fixture...and normally, higher prices.

Code: Select all
<B>I would personally prefer the  Agrobrite or SunBlaze ones available. They are top quality and full spectrum as you will need for optimum growth and flowering.</B>

<B>Two of these would be needed </B>

These are just a few of many options.
Some even use LED lighting these days with great success. But I still prefer fluorescents.
Remember 40 watts or higher and 3000k- 6500k. And full spectrum. Look for WHITE light or DAYLIGHT bulbs.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
By carelerasmus
CarnivorousChick wrote:Hey there! I don't think that will be enough light or wattage output for your plants. VFTs need at least 4 40watt t5 or t8 FLORESCENT lighting at 3000k. That would be white or go higher with 6500k Daylight lights.
Here are a few buying options. Note these can be bought in smaller 2ft versions.... just more bigger number of bulbs needed in fixture...and normally, higher prices.

<B>I would personally prefer the Agrogrow/ Agrobrite ones available. They are top quality and full spectrum as you will need for optimum growth and flowering.</B>

<B>Two of these would be needed </B>

These are just a few of many options.
Some even use LED lighting these days with great success. But I still prefer fluorescents.
Remember 40 watts or higher and 3000k- 6500k. And full spectrum. Look for WHITE light or DAYLIGHT bulbs.

Thanks for both replies! I'm sorry if I don't always understand the technological jargon , but I think I get it nowImageImage

However, reading what you said about LEDs.... I have a desklamp , and I've just bought a new LED bulb today , I think it's cool white, and its output is about 60 watts.... Would that work for a single pot of smaller flytraps and sarracenias?

Thanks againImage

By CarnivorousChick
Thanks for both replies! I'm sorry if I don't always understand the technological jargon , but I think I get it nowImageImage

However, reading what you said about LEDs.... I have a desklamp , and I've just bought a new LED bulb today , I think it's cool white, and its output is about 60 watts.... Would that work for a single pot of smaller flytraps and sarracenias?

Thanks againImage

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk[/quote]

If you could get another one like it... having two bulbs equalling out to 120watts would be preferable. But until the meantime... I think it will sustain your fly trap. The bulbs need to be about 6 to 8 inches over your plants. The LEDs don't get very hot, so there is no need to worry about the burning of your plants.
Does your new facility were you are moving have any windows that are accessible to you? Natural sunlight in conjunction with the grow lights would be your optimal bet on getting enough lighting.... especially for the Sarracenia's.
Sarracenia's and VFTs normally aren't recommended to be grown indoors because of the lack of light. It's just harder to reproduce enough "sunlight like" light without the cost. Most plants show more vigor and robustness grown outside. Which I know isn't an option in your case. So artificial lighting will have to suffice my friend.
The more watts on Florescent or CFLs and high lumens (4000k-6500k) cool white or Daylight bulbs. Florescent or LED.

Here is a conversion chart to give you an idea about converting LED watts:

By carelerasmus
Thank you so much carnivorouschick... Thats some good advice! Yes There is a window, and luckily I do actually get direct sunlight from 3pm to about 6:30pm . I know out of experience that that is not enough, but perhaps my temperate cp's could be under my LED lamp from morning untill 3 pm. I hope that should be enough!

By carelerasmus
Doublebass1985 wrote:You mean the new bulb you have is 60 watt equivalent? Cuz there's no way it is a 60 watt led bulb
Yes, Im sorry if I was unclear on that! It has an input of 6 watt and an equivalent output of 60watt Image

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!