FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By oval
Just when I was starting to give up on the seeds I sowed from the seed bank, I noticed the other day that the D. madagascariensis seeds were beginning to sprout, and the next day the D. admirabilis seeds were sprouting. I am seeing more each time I look! Thanks again donors, et al!

(Still waiting for those stubborn burmanniis... I might need some pointers on those. :| )
By Shadowtski
oval wrote:Just when I was starting to give up on the seeds I sowed from the seed bank, I noticed the other day that the D. madagascariensis seeds were beginning to sprout, and the next day the D. admirabilis seeds were sprouting. I am seeing more each time I look! Thanks again donors, et al!

(Still waiting for those stubborn burmanniis... I might need some pointers on those. :| )
What are your temperatures?
Burmannii usually prefers a little warmer than room temperature for quick germination.
They'll usually sprout but it can take much longer.
By twitcher
I tried multiple times, multiple sourced burmanii seed on chopped sphagnum and 0 germination. When I tried on peat/sand I got very good germination. The good germination seed was from one of the sources that did not germinate on sphagnum for me. From now on, I will be sowing burmanii on peat.
By oval
The madagascariensis and admirabilis are still too small for me to take clear pictures, but there seems to be a lot of them.

The burmanniis have been at room temperature, Mike. What if I move them to a sunny south window with a sheer curtain shielding them from the direct sun? They are currently under a vented clear humidity dome.

Twitcher, maybe I will try a second batch on peat/sand. This batch is on coco coir.

Thanks guys!
By Shadowtski
The burmanniis have been at room temperature, Mike. What if I move them to a sunny south window with a sheer curtain shielding them from the direct sun? They are currently under a vented clear humidity dome.
They like 80 - 85 degrees if they can get it.
Dome covered pots in direct sun are OK if you monitor temperature. The problem is they can overheat quickly if something goes wrong.
Maybe consider a small heating pad set on low.
Or else, just use this as an exercise in building patience.
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By oval
Okay, I have been looking into heating pads lately. It might be just what I need in the cooler weather. Summertime here 80-85 is no problem, but indoors it hasn't been much above low 70s this past week.

And definitely, patience would do me good!
By King Drosophyllum VI
Remember to control your Drosera burmannii and don't let them become weeds. I started with one plant which spread by seed and now I have thousands. It might be the warm conditions of where I grow them but they are worse weeds than Utricularia bisquamata. Other than being weeds they are one of my favorite sundews so I would recomend them.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!