FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By EGROEG
Which would you choose out of B52 and DC XL? I’ve heard that DC XL has the potential to produce larger traps, however, I also like a large vft that is vigorous. Which would you say out of the two produce large traps more consistently throughout the year without much difference and make divisions quicker?
By carelerasmus
I've heard that DC XL also grows more vigorously

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By Secretariat73
In my experience, both are excellent, vigorous cultivars. In my desert growing conditions, DCXL multiplies more readily than B52. DCXL produces slightly larger traps for me, but my B52 traps are consistently very large while the DCXL traps tend to fluctuate more (but they always remain on the large side). Colorwise, the B52 traps become a burgundy/purple-ish red when temperatures are milder while the DCXL's traps remain more of a bright red shade. While both have proven to be exceptionally hardy, B52 seems to be more sensitive to mineral build up. Mine were affected at levels of 70ppm while DCXL was still chugging along at that ppm level.

To muddy up the picture a bit... If trap size matters, the largest traps in my collection are produced by SD Kronos. For me, DCXL can only match SD Kronos when DCXL is producing its largest traps. SD Kronos' traps are consistently ginormous, and the plant seems to reproduce as readily or more readily than DCXL for me. Colors up like DCXL. But unlike B52 and DCXL, SD Kronos is a ground hugger.
Secretariat73 liked this
By DragonsEye
Secretariat73 wrote:But unlike B52 and DCXL, SD Kronos is a ground hugger.
First time I've heard of Kronos. Ground huggers are a plus, in my book. :D
By carelerasmus
DragonsEye wrote:
Secretariat73 wrote:But unlike B52 and DCXL, SD Kronos is a ground hugger.
First time I've heard of Kronos. Ground huggers are a plus, in my book. :D
I love ground huggers too! But that seems to be an unpopular opinionImage

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By Secretariat73
If a plant can eat large creepy bugs, that gives it plenty of brownie points in my book! My SD Kronos is capable of eating about 90% of the adult cockroaches I fish out of my irrigation boxes for the plants. It has accumulated a ton of points! :D

Actually, ground huggers have an advantage here in Las Vegas. It can get really windy around here. The winds stir up a lot of dust and dirt that settles over everything, including flytrap containers. The low lying leaves of ground huggers help keep a lot of that junk from reaching the lfsm in their pots. I find that the ground huggers always have a much lower ppm measurement than their aerial counterparts. Because of this, I don't have to refresh their planting media as frequently... big plus! I love ground huggers! :D
Secretariat73 liked this
By Fieldofscreams
If I had to pick I would pick B52.

My B52 grows huge colorful traps through the entire growing season. But it doesn't divide as quickly.

My DCXL grows big traps but not as big as my B52 and mainly green traps, the plus side is it divides very quickly and grows like wild fire.
By tommyr
EGROEG wrote:Which would you choose out of B52 and DC XL? I’ve heard that DC XL has the potential to produce larger traps, however, I also like a large vft that is vigorous. Which would you say out of the two produce large traps more consistently throughout the year without much difference and make divisions quicker?
DCXL hands down.

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!