FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By mo_carnivore
Well, today I was able to get a chest freezer! Yay! It was a great deal, and I've been looking into making one of these for a while now, so I had to snap it up. Here are some pics.
sideways freezer.JPG
sideways freezer.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 7235 times
closed freezer.JPG
closed freezer.JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 7235 times
open freezer.JPG
open freezer.JPG (2.29 MiB) Viewed 7235 times
It's 5.1 cubic feet. It's rough dimensions are 28 L x 21 W x 32 H on the outside, 24 L x 17 W on the inside. I'm planning on growing a bunch of finicky highland South American sundews in here, plus maybe some heliamphora eventually. The temps and humidity I'm aiming for are 75 daytime highs and 50 lows and RH of 85-95%. Sound okay?

Now that I know it works, I'm planning on getting a ZooMed Hygrotherm and a computer fan to regulate temperature and air circulation. I think I'll take off the lid, get some plexiglass to put over the top, and probably stand the trays on some egg crate/Plastokite, or just wing it with some upturned tupperware I have lying around :D

I am definitely looking for advice and tips from anyone who has or hasn't had any experience with this, so any input is welcome. I'll keep this thread updated as I get the system working.

Thanks!

-mo_carnivore
By DeadlyCarnivore
Ooooooo I wish I could do that...... Cant wait to see the pictures when you are done!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
Just one thought.
You might want a low-low temperature cutout switch.
This way, if your control system malfunctions, the freezer won't kill your plants by freezing them solid.

For example, if your temperature setpoint is 50 then set your cutout at 40.

One user in the last few years had something like this happen to him.

Just an idle cautionary thought.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By mo_carnivore
Shadowtski wrote:Just one thought.
You might want a low-low temperature cutout switch.
This way, if your control system malfunctions, the freezer won't kill your plants by freezing them solid.

For example, if your temperature setpoint is 50 then set your cutout at 40.

One user in the last few years had something like this happen to him.

Just an idle cautionary thought.

Good growing,
Mike
That's a good idea, I'll look into that.
By KategoricalKarnivore
tannerm had a chest freezer set up like that. It malfunctioned and froze all his plants. You can PM him and I bet he can give you some tips. You can also find him in the FB cp groups (Tanner Marsh).
By mo_carnivore
The setup is almost done! I managed to DIY the flooring and got the hygrotherm this week. Just got the plexiglass lid and I'm only waiting on the fan which should come today!

Here's how it looks so far. For now, the temps are set at 75 daytime and 59 nighttime temps. I might lower the nighttime temperature in the future, but for now I don't want it to get too cold. Humidity seems to be doing fine, around 85%, but when the freezer kicks on it drops. This will probably be fine, but it's going to be something I will keep an eye on. For now I have really any sundew in there that I like, but in the future I'll have to get more selective--it'll probably turn into an exclusive highland and tuberous sundew grow area.
the freezer.JPG
the freezer.JPG (2.65 MiB) Viewed 7098 times
daytime temps.JPG
daytime temps.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 7098 times
nighttime temps.JPG
nighttime temps.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 7098 times
interior.JPG
interior.JPG (2.89 MiB) Viewed 7098 times
By Jeeper
EliWhitney3140 wrote:Congratulations mo_carnivore, I can't wait to see your plants grow.
Unfortunately there was an accident and a lot of plants were lost.... Morning has been slowly working back the collection.
Jeeper liked this
By mo_carnivore
As I was doing maintenance in the freezer, I took out the sensor attached to the thermostat and forgot to put it back in the freezer when I was done. That night, the thermostat was reading the room's ambient temperature and trying to get the entire room down to that temperature, but because the thermostat was attached to the freezer it dropped the freezer's temperature to way below freezing.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!