FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Hurrikale
Hi, I have indica sundew and I noticed it is currently growing a flower stalk after I put it out in full sun. Do I have to pollinate the plant myself or it'll do its job? Please don't tell me to rely on pollinators as they may be absent here. Oh also will the plant die after setting seeds? Image

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
Plants in the Drosera indica group usually self-pollinate.
Let the flower do its thing, you don't have to assist.
The ovary will swell up and turn Brown.
I usually harvest one seed pod at a time.
Each one will hold dozens of tiny seeds.
That is an interesting color on your plant.
What is its origin?
It looks like D. indica from Viet Nam, or possibly D. serpens.
Are there any Y shaped glands on the leaves?
That would be a sure sign of serpens.

EDIT

All the species in the indica group are annuals. They will die after a year or so. Producing seed will accelerate the process.

You can counter this by feeding them heavily. My finlaysonianas and serpens were covered with flies when I bring them out in Summer.

Zooming in on your photo, I think I see Y shaped glands on your plant. That would ID it as Drossra serpens.
By Hurrikale
I'm certain it is Drosera indica :) also there aren't any Y shapes and I placed it in direct sunlight for the whole day, after few days it started to form the buds. I'm not sure about it's origin and I don't live in Vietnam. I bought this plant from a local seller. Is there any way to preserve the plant? I don't want it to die! This is the most beautiful and active Sundew I've seen (maybe more active than capensis) and if it dies I'll have to start over from seedlings which would take so much time. I believe this is Green form indica.

By Shadowtski
Only way to preserve it is to keep a steady flow of seedlings coming along.

But heavy feeding will keep them alive as long as possible.

All species in the Drosera indica complex are annuals.
Check out the ICPS webpage on this group.http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cp/tax ... seraindica
By Hurrikale
I don't think it is serpens. It looks just like indica. Here are pictures of the plant.

ImageImageImage
By Hurrikale
Shadowtski wrote:Only way to preserve it is to keep a steady flow of seedlings coming along.

But heavy feeding will keep them alive as long as possible.

All species in the Drosera indica complex are annuals.
Check out the ICPS webpage on this group.http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cp/tax ... seraindica
Sorry but what did you mean by "keep a steady flow of seedlings coming along"???

By Hurrikale
Shadowtski wrote:When the mother plant produces seed, plant some right away.
Your original will die but you should have replacements.
Indicas grow quick.
How about doing Tissue culture? Would this save the plant? I meant can I preserve the original plant?

By bananaman
Hurrikale wrote:
Indicas grow quick.
How about doing Tissue culture? Would this save the plant? I meant can I preserve the original plant?

The best way to try and get the original plant to live longer is by feeding it as heavily as you can. It’s a short lived plant by it’s nature. It would be difficult to introduce into TC by vegetative means as well.

Fortunately, growing them from seed isn’t that big of a downside. They’ll be full sized in only a few months from seed if they’re grown well.
By Hurrikale
bananaman wrote:
Hurrikale wrote:
Indicas grow quick.

The best way to try and get the original plant to live longer is by feeding it as heavily as you can. It’s a short lived plant by it’s nature. It would be difficult to introduce into TC by vegetative means as well.

Fortunately, growing them from seed isn’t that big of a downside. They’ll be full sized in only a few months from seed if they’re grown well.
Thank you but if it matures within few months will it grows flowers then? But doesn't it die after blooming? Does that mean it'll have a shorter lifespan? I don't think so. I want to ask if I can expose the baby sundews to full sun just like the parent plant. I don't know where to put them because I don't know how tolerant they are.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!