FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By CpKid
Hi all
So, I have 4 bare root Sarracenia rhizomes in the mail from California Carnivores, and my question is: Should I plant them now under grow lights, or wait until March/ April to put them outside when it warms up?
Thanks in advance,
CpKid
By PitcherPerfect
I too recently got an order of mystery Sarrs. I’m kinda new to CPs, if this info isn’t good, please someone more experienced chime in. I went ahead & planted mine & have them outside. My thinking is since I don’t have the fridge space to keep them cool, outside in the ground is the next best place (cool temps & access to sunlight). My hope is that they will maintain dormancy & enter growing season as light & temps increase.

I’m in Oregon & we have pretty mild winters in the area I live. I could see that not being a good option depending on your location.

I hope that helps some and all the best for a happy growing season. :D
Attachments:
Pool of mystery Sarrs.
Pool of mystery Sarrs.
381DFAF9-E1FD-4901-9C1D-27B42018FE79.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4377 times
PitcherPerfect liked this
By CpKid
Thanks! I was just worried about putting mine outside right now, I live in MI, so we get some wild temps. I'll probably just put them outside, and watch the forecast for cold days.
By CpKid
Also, does anyone have any opinions on Sarracenias in 25-32 degree weather? Would it rot the rhizomes?
Thanks!
By SundewWolf
Do you have a garage or shed? They will handle 25-32 degrees no problem given the some protection. I have heating cables in the bottoms of plastic storage containers in my garage in case it gets super cold, but so far this winter I haven't turned them on. They are obviously insulated from windchill in my set up, but being unheated they have been going through 40*F - 25*F on average.

If you don't plant them into soil now what is your second option? Will you be you doing the fridge dormancy method?
SundewWolf liked this
By CpKid
Thanks for your input!
I have access to a garage, so I could put them there if it gets chilly. I think I'll just plant them in a mini bog type thing, but I could do fridge dormancy if I had to. The weather is going to be in the 30's from now on, so I think it'll be safe to have them outside.
By CpKid
Hey I'd just like to post an update on M'pitcher plants, I decided to put them under some lights. I will be moving them outside soon once it warms up a bit more. They seem to be doing well and my purpurea is even sending up a flower stalk (Thanks Hollyhock! :D )
I'm sorry about the sideway's pictures, I'm not sure how to fix that.
Attachments:
photo 1-41.JPG
photo 1-41.JPG (151.55 KiB) Viewed 4180 times
photo 5-18.JPG
photo 5-18.JPG (86.27 KiB) Viewed 4180 times
photo 2-41.JPG
photo 2-41.JPG (151.62 KiB) Viewed 4180 times
photo 3-18.JPG
photo 3-18.JPG (136.5 KiB) Viewed 4180 times
By SundewWolf
They look great for being indoors. I still have mine in the garage and I’m waiting on my purple LED lights to come in the mail. Honestly in about 2 weeks they will be acclimated to the weather so I’m not going to need these lights for very long depending on how quickly the mail gets here...but I do need the to upgrade from my old t5’s.

Theyre in uncovered containers hovering around a 50*F-60*Fcurrently.
By Jeeper
SundewWolf wrote:They look great for being indoors. I still have mine in the garage and I’m waiting on my purple LED lights to come in the mail. Honestly in about 2 weeks they will be acclimated to the weather so I’m not going to need these lights for very long depending on how quickly the mail gets here...but I do need the to upgrade from my old t5’s.

Those your garage temps or outside temps? What are nights like? If it isn't lower than 40-45* you might as well put them out now. I'm at 40-50 days and 20-30 nights and I'm thinking about putting them outside under cover next week...
By CpKid
They look great for being indoors. I still have mine in the garage and I’m waiting on my purple LED lights to come in the mail. Honestly in about 2 weeks they will be acclimated to the weather so I’m not going to need these lights for very long depending on how quickly the mail gets here...but I do need the to upgrade from my old t5’s.
Thanks! Same with me, except in my basement. Leds seem to be working pretty well for them so far.
I'm at 40-50 days and 20-30 nights and I'm thinking about putting them outside under cover next week...
Wouldn't it be risky putting them outside in freezing weather if there was already some developed foliage? Because I'd like to put mine out asap.
By SundewWolf
Jeeper wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:They look great for being indoors. I still have mine in the garage and I’m waiting on my purple LED lights to come in the mail. Honestly in about 2 weeks they will be acclimated to the weather so I’m not going to need these lights for very long depending on how quickly the mail gets here...but I do need the to upgrade from my old t5’s.

Those your garage temps or outside temps? What are nights like? If it isn't lower than 40-45* you might as well put them out now. I'm at 40-50 days and 20-30 nights and I'm thinking about putting them outside under cover next week...
Thats in the garage, outside it's still falling to 30*F on average but I'm doing all of this because I accidentally left this heat system turned on earlier in the month when it was a bit warmer outside and my plants have started slowly sprouting. Now I just have to wait for the temps to equalize so the new growth doesn't get damaged, and put them on the patio once the low temp outdoors is about 45*F like you said. I'm going to shut the heating cables off next week since it's no longer going to be below the freezing point and night, and about mid 50's outside on average once I get into April.
By CpKid
Do you mind if I ask what sort of lights your using?
I'm using a mars hydro 300 about 2ft from the top of the pot, and it seems to be working quite well.
Perlite from Ebay

this is the cheapest option i can find for perlite[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!