FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

How much money have you spent on this hobby?

Less than $30
2%
$30 - $50
5%
$51 - $80
2%
$81 - $101
No votes
0%
$101 - $150
7%
$151 - $200
5%
$201 - $280
No votes
0%
$281 - $350
7%
More than $350
9%
More than $700
7%
More than $1000
50%
I don't know...
7%
By yardleyq1987
$624.39.. not including shipping, taxes, and supplies. My most spent on categories are VFT's followed by Sundews.. I created an excel sheet that shows my collection, date of purchase, and price. I really thought I was in the $200 range..oops.
By KategoricalKarnivore
I rarely spend money on plants. I mostly just trade with other growers. I do spend money on lights, soil, and pots though. No idea how much though.
By ChefDean
A charged question with very subjective answers.
Over the years, with my failures and successes, I have kept it low-key. I would say over $300, but under $500, with the majority being spent on distilled water. I would say that I will definitely spend more in the future.
However, my wife has stayed mostly silent while I pursued this hobby on a small scale. But, if you were to ask her directly, she would likely say that I've done enough, and should stop spending money on water for goodness sake! (But she has bought me 3 plants herself. 1 Sarracenia and 2 VFT's)
Love that woman!
StaatS+17+ liked this
By yardleyq1987
ChefDean wrote:A charged question with very subjective answers.
Over the years, with my failures and successes, I have kept it low-key. I would say over $300, but under $500, with the majority being spent on distilled water. I would say that I will definitely spend more in the future.
However, my wife has stayed mostly silent while I pursued this hobby on a small scale. But, if you were to ask her directly, she would likely say that I've done enough, and should stop spending money on water for goodness sake! (But she has bought me 3 plants herself. 1 Sarracenia and 2 VFT's)
Love that woman!
I second the expenses on distilled water. I'm paying 1.50 per gallon currently and I go through many during the summer. I have a rainy forecast coming up, so I want to start collecting rainwater to help ease water expenses. It's always good to have a supporter on your side! Here is my summary below:

By Bob Beer
Okay seriously...do we have to figure in our monthly electric bills for the grow lights? :-) I work at a plant store so I get a discount...and one of my T5 units is a loaner. I initially bought a lot of pings but started trading mostly after that. And considering how many I’ve sold from my own propagation...maybe around 500? It’s probably wrong and I’m probably deep in denial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By riveraXVX
I'm not sure what we have spent honestly but I'd say probably around the $300 range a little more if you are counting supplies (lights/pots/trays/etc) probably closer to $500 but we tend to buy everything we can in large bulk for the future
By Jeeper
More than my saltwater reef tank days (which was a lot), but less than my antique wiilys truck hobby... I like expensive things...
Supercazzola liked this
By bananaman
Quite a lot. But I've also been in the hobby for about a decade (I've been an ICPS member since 2009, and I started growing them before that). Between my lights and my plants and soil and water and shipping stuff to people for free, it's probably quite high. While I did get lots of my plants for cheap/free (either as gifts or seeds or trades), everything else adds up too.
By Painley
A little over 500 probably and I have only been growing for 2 years. It's just super addictive. I keep finding myself shopping for plants.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
By DragonsEye
Honestly, couldn't say. Been growing plants for decades. Many plants have been purchased, others obtained by trade. With trade, does one include $ spent on postage? Then there is the $ spent on supplies and electricity for lighting, not to mention the light bulbs/fixtures themselves. So probably more than I realize or really want to know.
MikeB liked this
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!