FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By UNGOLIANT
15465932743926537482144979053510.jpg
15465932743926537482144979053510.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1629 times
I bought this Nep. Rafflesiana (probably crossed with god knows what) from a garden store about a week ago. It is on a west facing location (in melbourne which means it gets about 5 hours of afternoon sun) and the humidity usually podders around the 50 to 90% mark at this time of year. It is currently summer and the arvo temps have been between the 28-35°C mark. It was growing indoor at the garden shop so i SUSPECT the browning is maybe sunburn but i wanted to get some opinions just in case. There doesnt seem to be any rot set in anywhere and no signs of any bugs. It is in (what seems to be) a mix of perlite, sphagnum and orchid mix. I keep it moist all the time (due to the heat). Is it just adjusting or am i not keeping it in ideal conditions for what it is? Also i will add there was no tag on it so my best guess from the pitchers it had (before they dried up and went manky) was that it is a rafflesiana. The red spotting was already on the leaves when i bought it and it looked healthy and strong in the shop. So any thoughts? Thankyou!
Attachments:
15465933767572369386016719640436.jpg
15465933767572369386016719640436.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 1629 times
By oval
Yes, if it's getting direct sun that may be the problem. They like bright light, but try giving it dappled sun or partial shade, like through tree leaves or a sheer curtain, or move it further away from the window (if it's indoors).

Then you can let the pot get lighter (not dry!) before each watering. It should still be moist.

Your temps seem good if it is a rafflesiana or other lowland, and the humidity also, especially at the high end (although they are somewhat adaptable). The red spots on the older leaves is normal.

Also, it does take time to adjust to its new environment, and you've only had it a week, so it may be a while before it pitchers.

Hopefully others will comment and give you the benefit of their experience.
oval liked this
By tzestan
It looks like sun burn. I would suggest keep it in shade. Lowland plants can take direct sunlight, but will need to acclimate gradually.

The plant does not look like rafflesiana. It is likely a hookeriana. May take photo when it pitchers.
tzestan liked this
By UNGOLIANT
tzestan wrote:It looks like sun burn. I would suggest keep it in shade. Lowland plants can take direct sunlight, but will need to acclimate gradually.

The plant does not look like rafflesiana. It is likely a hookeriana. May take photo when it pitchers.

YES!!!! Thats the one!!! I just googled hookeriana and thats exactly what the pitchers look like! Thankyou both for your help! I will try the dappled shade for a few weeks as suggested till it aclimatises alittle more. Thanks guys! :D
By UNGOLIANT
oval wrote:Yes, if it's getting direct sun that may be the problem. They like bright light, but try giving it dappled sun or partial shade, like through tree leaves or a sheer curtain, or move it further away from the window (if it's indoors).

Then you can let the pot get lighter (not dry!) before each watering. It should still be moist.

Your temps seem good if it is a rafflesiana or other lowland, and the humidity also, especially at the high end (although they are somewhat adaptable). The red spots on the older leaves is normal.

Also, it does take time to adjust to its new environment, and you've only had it a week, so it may be a while before it pitchers.

Hopefully others will comment and give you the benefit of their experience.

Thankyou so much! I will try the dappled shade for a few weeks and see how we go. Should i cut the shrivelled leaves or just leave it?
By oval
UNGOLIANT wrote:Thankyou so much! I will try the dappled shade for a few weeks and see how we go. Should i cut the shrivelled leaves or just leave it?
As long as they have a little green, they are still using them for photosynthesis. If brown, then you can cut them if you want.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!