FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Chesser
Nepenthes Coccinea is a hybrid (rafflesiana × ampullaria × mirabilis), Wikipedia lists it as a common/popular variety but I can hardly find any pictures or info on it. If any of you grow it can I see some pictures and get some knowledge? :lol: Mine is still very tiny and doesn’t have any pitchers yet. Also, how long would it take a typical nep. to grow pitchers?
By camsdad66
Hi Chesser,
I had a beautiful specimen of N. x Coccinea back in the day! Wish I still did! It's a very nice hybrid, and from what I remember, an easy grower. I'll try to locate an old photo of mine and post it for you. Best of luck with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
camsdad66 liked this
By Chesser
camsdad66 wrote:Hi Chesser,
I had a beautiful specimen of N. x Coccinea back in the day! Wish I still did! It's a very nice hybrid, and from what I remember, an easy grower. I'll try to locate an old photo of mine and post it for you. Best of luck with it.

Great! I’d appreciate that.
By camsdad66
These are two different plants of N. x Coccinea that I grew many years apart. The really nice one was bought from a local garden center and really took off in my homemade green house. As far as time on your plant to develop pitchers, a photo might help me and some others to determine that. Also, of course your growing conditions will greatly influence pitcher production as well. Neps need a good bit of light, and usually a fair amount of humidity to pitcher. ImageImage

By Chesser
camsdad66 wrote:These are two different plants of N. x Coccinea that I grew many years apart. The really nice one was bought from a local garden center and really took off in my homemade green house. As far as time on your plant to develop pitchers, a photo might help me and some others to determine that. Also, of course your growing conditions will greatly influence pitcher production as well. Neps need a good bit of light, and usually a fair amount of humidity to pitcher. ImageImage

I don’t think light is an issue. I’m running a 300watt full spectrum LED grow light at full power for 12hrs. Maybe it’s humidity? It ranges from 55-92%. Or could it be temperature? It’s currently at 68F. Sorry for being so needy :lol:
Here’s what it looks like:
ImageImageImage
Sorry for the bad quality it’s not easy to take good pictures under that light.
By camsdad66
The plant looks happy to me, and definitely has the makings of pitchers. Just gotta give it some time and be patient. Also, while neps don't go into a true dormancy like some other CPs, some do slow down or stop pitcher production in the winter time. Also, 68° may be a little low, might want to up the temp a little if possible. Just my opinion. I grow my neps indoors in a sunroom with fairly low humidity, and they do fine. They just do their thing and pitcher when they want to. Some don't pitcher for months, and then, suddenly....BAM!

By Chesser
camsdad66 wrote:The plant looks happy to me, and definitely has the makings of pitchers. Just gotta give it some time and be patient. Also, while neps don't go into a true dormancy like some other CPs, some do slow down or stop pitcher production in the winter time. Also, 68° may be a little low, might want to up the temp a little if possible. Just my opinion. I grow my neps indoors in a sunroom with fairly low humidity, and they do fine. They just do their thing and pitcher when they want to. Some don't pitcher for months, and then, suddenly....BAM!
Thanks! I really appreciate it. Great help.
By camsdad66
You're welcome. I'm not an expert, but feel free to ask any questions if you need. Happy New Year to you also!

By Fishkeeper
I have N. sanguinea, N. ventrata, and an unknown hybrid, and all three stopped pitchering when the humidity dropped too low after the central heating kicked on for the year. I've managed to get their humidity up, and they're pitchering again. They kept growing despite the lack of pitchers, though- a lot of neps grow fine, just minus pitchers, when the air humidity is a bit low.
By King Drosophyllum VI
Fishkeeper if you could post a photo of your unknown hybrid I might be able to say what it is.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!