FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Lucied
Hello, two acquaintances of mine gave me some of their CPs including Ceph & Heli since I build a poorman HL container to drop the temperature at night.

Now they are thriving and do better in my captivity, I need help about their specific name.

This VFT is so large in size, wide stem & the tongue is yellowish green no red. Is it B52 or Grun or Green Mammoth or else?

This Ceph is labeled as Cephalotus Roraima, with my Google-Fu its either a name of Fillipino seller or a Tepui but since no Ceph live in Tepui I think the 1st one is the correct one. But Im curious if they have specific variant name.Image

And this Heli come with very poor condition. Only one green stem and now its grown two more green pitchers in my captivity. Is it Nutan or Ciliata?

Best regards!
By Fishkeeper
The VFT can't be given a label. A flytrap can only be labeled as a given cultivar if it is known to be a clone of a plant from said cultivar, and since you don't know that for certain, you can't put a label on it. You can only call it a "Typical", i.e. a flytrap of unknown genetics.
By SundewWolf
Vft is probably a typical and as mentioned, guessing unlabeled VFT cultivars usually leads to incorrect identifications since the characteristics can vary based on growing conditions, time of year, and many look similar to each other. The only exception is if the original grower had a small amount of vft's (i.e. only grow B52, akai ryu, schuppenstiel, and cup traps) you could probably guess what it is, but given a standard looking plant randomly it's pretty much a guessing game, and statistically most likely a typical or seed grown plant.

You are correct about the cephalotus, it had an incorrect label. There are no ceph's growing on mount roraima. Most likely just a C. follicularis , not any cultivar ceph.

The Heli should not be too difficult to ID, but unfortunately until it is more mature and putting out larger pitchers we won't be able to see the distinguishing features. It's most likely a H. minor since it's a common hardy species that is sold more than the others, but to be sure it should be evaluated again in a few months or a year when it grows larger.
Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!