FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nepenthes0260
Hello, forum!

My cephs have a lot of this white dusty stuff on them which looks like a fungus. Is there a Cephalotus-safe fungicide out there? Thanks in advance :D!
Nepenthes0260
By KategoricalKarnivore
It’s probably powdery mildew. Common on these plants. I think Hollyhock has dealt with this before. Might try asking her.
By Hungry Plants
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:It’s probably powdery mildew. Common on these plants. I think Hollyhock has dealt with this before. Might try asking her.

She gave me a mix a while back. wish I could remember it but I know she has a DIY mix she uses.
Hungry Plants liked this
By hollyhock
I don't think it was me everyone. My cephalotus struggle with powdery mildew. Increase airflow cooler temperatures and I use a product called Safer garden fungicide. Seems to control it somewhat. I did a lot of research about it and a whole milk looks really promising...I wouldn't use the baking soda and soap recipe on CP's. But this article has some organic methods
https://dengarden.com/gardening/Organic ... ery-Mildew
hollyhock liked this
By Jeeper
Anyone have a picture of a ceph with p.m. on it? Would like to know what I should be looking for....
By riveraXVX
I'll send you some photos of our ceph struggles Jeeper. won't be tonight but if you haven't heard from me in a day or two feel free to message me on here (it will kick to my e-mail to remind me haha) probably have a few decent macro shots showing it also

dealt with powdery mildew on one of our two cephs we got at the same time (and still minorly struggle with on that plant but seemed to have got it sorted now ugh)
By riveraXVX
decided to just post it for others reference also in case it was of interest:

first attempt at removing problem was a neem oil based mix - which immediately wiped it out only to have it return shortly after

second attempt was a using Sulphur (dust) mixed up - shake well dont breath it in and don't be too generous with it which melted the powdery mildew like butter... but once again returned shortly after.

its all about the conditions. I found for us in our household and conditions it was best to keep the plants on the drier side, never mist them, and unless giving mushroom/bacteria spore treatments we only bottom water them rarely if at all from the top unless we are just wanting to flush things out/add nutrients.

larger containers with more medium are useful also, as well as making sure the plant is fully exposed over top of the pots not recessed down inside the pot, many people mound up the plants in their containers which seems to do ok for them. when we repot ours we will be trying that out.

some recommend a buffer layer of sand after you plant them to help keep the base of the plant above soil drier as opposed to sitting on damp medium.

then again I see some people growing them in nothing but sphagnum moss, sitting in water 24/7 in aquariums and they have no issues - so really ....its about finding the sweet spot for you as what may work for me, may not work for you and vice versa!
riveraXVX liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Thanks for helping, everybody!

I got some sulphur based fungicide and sprayed it on my three infected Cephs. It's destroying the mildew by the minute!
Nepenthes0260
By riveraXVX
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Thanks for helping, everybody!

I got some sulphur based fungicide and sprayed it on my three infected Cephs. It's destroying the mildew by the minute!
Nepenthes0260
cuts through it like butter almost like you were just rinsing some dirt off them! the key is to see if it returns! from what I can tell ours was mostly caused by keeping the top of the medium too wet. but not 100% sure on that haha
riveraXVX liked this
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!