FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Chris8888
I recently got drosera seeds from the seed bank. The seeds were drosera mixed species, and I believe they contained drosera capensis, filiformis, spatulata, and binata with the majority of the seeds being capensis. I planted some a little over a week ago on LFS and put the pot in a plastic bag near my nepenthes. Not a single one has sprouted yet, and I'm kind of getting worried. I know that they can take a few weeks to sprout, I just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right. I'll post pictures when (or if) they sprout.
By Nepenthes0260
Hi, Chris8888!

I have a batch of Drosera capensis seeds that took more than a month to sprout. I also have some D. aliciae seeds that took 4 months to sprout! I would not be worried, some dew seeds can take three years to sprout. I have noticed the more light, the better germination rate and the higher temps make them sprout quicker. Hope this helps!

Nepenthes0260
By Carnivor10
Chris8888 wrote:I recently got drosera seeds from the seed bank. The seeds were drosera mixed species, and I believe they contained drosera capensis, filiformis, spatulata, and binata with the majority of the seeds being capensis. I planted some a little over a week ago on LFS and put the pot in a plastic bag near my nepenthes. Not a single one has sprouted yet, and I'm kind of getting worried. I know that they can take a few weeks to sprout, I just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right. I'll post pictures when (or if) they sprout.
ummmmmm a little impatient there , they can take anything up to 4 to 6 weeks to sprout ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By mo_carnivore
Shadowtski wrote:4 to 6 weeks is the normal time for germination.
Cool Winter temperatures can increase this time.
I try to not even look until a month has gone by.

Mike
Haha me too but I end up checking after a week... :D sometimes I’m surprised, but more often not. It’s hard, but try to forget about them.
By bananaman
mo_carnivore wrote:
Shadowtski wrote:4 to 6 weeks is the normal time for germination.
Cool Winter temperatures can increase this time.
I try to not even look until a month has gone by.

Mike
Haha me too but I end up checking after a week... :D sometimes I’m surprised, but more often not. It’s hard, but try to forget about them.
It’s good advice. In general, carnivores aren’t like vegetables that germinate in like three days. I’ve learned to be pleasantly surprised by germination in under a month. But it is worth checking on occasion to be sure nothing is getting moldy — especially if you didn’t rinse your medium much. Plus, it provides an excuse to check for germination!
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!