FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mpott302
Hi everyone. I’m brand new here. I’ve searched this and other forums to try to figure out what’s going on but not finding plants with the exact conditions as mine.
Recent history of my nepenthes: I received it as a gift a year ago, it spent the rest of the winter indoors with a small full spectrum grow light. As soon as it warmed up I moved it to a screened/slat glass window porch where it really thrived. I left it on the porch as winter rolled around with the windows closed and a couple weeks ago put it back under the light for 9hrs a day.
The reason I left it on th porch is I thought it needed dormancy just like my VFT’s. I later read it didn’t so I’ve recently brought it back inside hanging near a window. My house is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit and 52% humidity. I don’t know if any of that has a thing to do with the problems it’s having but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to include.
I recently noticed some red/brown spots on the leaves. In a matter of days the lower leaves and stem is almost completely brown and leaves towards the end are really spotted. Tonight I also noticed a black line on the end of the stem. Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

By twitcher
Looks like the plant was frozen and the bottom half is gone. I've never tried to deal with kind of problem, but my instinct would be to take as large of a cutting from the top half that is in the best shape for the plant that has several nodes. Then I would plant in sphagnum and bag it. Cut any large sections of leaves that are rotted off (eg. trim leaf length) so that there is minimal moisture stress on the cutting to give it a chance to root. You want to preserve the good leaf tissue but not have too much of it to give the cutting a chance to root which is why bagging is important. Give good light and keep warm. Don't discard the bottom half but give it good conditions for a while just in case it is not dead.

I think it will not recover, but plants want to live, so there may be a chance. Hopefully you can hear from others with more experience with Nepenthes damage. I've grown them for years, but they have never given me much trouble for the easy ones I have had. Good luck on saving it.
twitcher, twitcher liked this
By Mpott302
Thank you. I actually started a threat on this in the pitcher plant section, not realizing there was a nepenthes section. People have let me know over there I need to change the medium which I will do after work. It’s inside now in better temperatures. I’ll also try to take a cutting and hope that takes root.

What do you mean by bag it? Just put a ziploc over the pot?

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!