FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jinglebells
Is my drosera capensis dormant? I recently repotted it as it was beginning to grow out of the potting mix. (Side note: since the leaves always stem from the center of the plant, the plant keeps getting "taller." Is there a way to prevent the plant from growing out of the potting mix as the leaves on the bottom die off?).

Anyways, when I repotted I found two more Itty bitty baby sundews growing and potted them as well. They look great. They are green and even dewey. However, the leaves on my original plant have basically turned completely brown. The plant is still firmly rooted in the pot. My plant gets plenty of sunlight and water but has been inside the house (because the temperature is below freezing outside) of about 70 degrees Fahrenheit near a window so it's a bit colder than that. I know this species does not not require a dormancy period but it's okay if it has one. My main question is, is it dormant or dead? If dead, what is the most likely reason and why are the other two not affected?

Thank you!
Attachments:
67E1630F-A530-47AF-B110-92EA99583289.jpeg
67E1630F-A530-47AF-B110-92EA99583289.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 6460 times
4B571E67-0376-433F-B2F4-6A1A9FB75CBC.jpeg
4B571E67-0376-433F-B2F4-6A1A9FB75CBC.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 6460 times
0C10EBAD-6542-4FD2-B97B-DF13A119D303.jpeg
0C10EBAD-6542-4FD2-B97B-DF13A119D303.jpeg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 6460 times
By Shadowtski
When a Cape Sundew dies back for no obvious reason, I'll often dig it up and inspect it for bugs. Rinse off the roots and look at them closely. You should see healthy White new growth at the ends of some roots. Repot the fresh plant in fresh media and bag it up for two weeks or so.

The little pot squatters can be planted back with the big plant or put in separate pots.

Just my two cents worth.

Mike
By tommyr
Capensis don't have or need a dormancy period. That adult plant looks like it's dying.
By Jaws
tommyr wrote:Capensis don't have or need a dormancy period. That adult plant looks like it's dying.
If it is cold* enough though, the plant can die right back to nothing and come back from the roots, mine do each year here in UK outside.

* I am talking about 45 F though.

Check some root, cut a piece it should appear creamy white colour inside, if so the roots are still alive.
By Jinglebells
As much as I'd like to think it's in dormancy, I'm pretty sure it's dying.
I'm afraid to uproot this plant to check it since that was the start of its death and I don't want the same fate for my two babies by disturbing them since they are doing well thus far.

The adult was doing great until I repotted it and I only did that because it was growing it's self out of the potting medium and one of my babies was actually growing out the hole in the bottom of my pot so repotting was the only way to save it.

If it's roots are still healthy, would it harm it more to pull it out and replant it?
If the plant truly is dead, what is a likely reason it would not have survived the repotting while my two babies are doing great under the exact same conditions in the same pot.

I haven't yet checked for bugs because that also requires unpotting and I really don't want to risk harming the two I have left. But I also don't want whatever affected the adult to get to the babies.

Any other common reasons for sudden death of a sundew?
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!