FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Kane1337
Hi there,

I just bought a baby Venus Flytrap at my hardware store im pretty newbie with what to do with them, they are very small ive been using distilled water to water them and keeping them moist and not too wet, i live in Australia so its getting quite hot here now, so i was just wondering how much sunlight i should give? them how often i should water them? should i try feed them little insects?

I have a picture for reference =)

Thanks.
Attachments:
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 2709 times
Kane1337 liked this
By CarnivorousChick
They should get as much sunlight as possible....at least 8 to 10 hrs. It's ok to keep them in full sunlight... just introduce it gradually to your new baby plant by putting in sun for 3 to 5 hrs and then in very bright shade for the rest of the day...adding an hr or so extra each day for about 5 to 7 days to get it accustomed to the direct sunlight. The media it's in should be kept moist (not soaking), being bottom water fed using the 'tray method'(I sometimes top water if the top of the soil is drying out quickly) with rain, distilled or reverse osmosis water ONLY. Never let it dry out completely. If your days Down Under get too extremely hot and the soil sets out too fast.... you can use the 'tray method and have it sit in about and in about 2cm of water while in the bright sun....then taken out of the sitting water at night.
Yes it ok to fed your little guy, if you'd like. But if he's being kept outside, there is no need to feed him. He'll get enough to eat on his own.
Also look into repotting your little guy into a slightly bigger pot. Using only sphagnum peat moss and perlite, 80/20 ratio. If wanted long fibered sphagnum moss can be used as well. Even a mix of all three. That is what I prefer for my plants because I live in a hot area too (Texas) and it holds moisture better.
Good luck with your little guy.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
By AnitaB
You found a good looking VFT at your hardware store. :D
By Kane1337
Hey again,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply it is muchly appreciated, it has really helped me understand the little guy a bit better and i will try my best to look after him =D
I do have a bigger pot it isn't too big so ill get around to re-potting him real soon!
Once again thanks for all the info, ill keep you guys updated on the progress of the little guy =)
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
What are the estimated daily temperatures? Venus Flytraps love sun and heat, but if it consistently gets up to 35-40 degrees C, then your plant may show some stress. If this is the case, then your plant will be okay with a little bit of shade in the afternoon to avoid this. Otherwise, as much sun as possible is best.
By CarnivorousChick
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:What are the estimated daily temperatures? Venus Flytraps love sun and heat, but if it consistently gets up to 35-40 degrees C, then your plant may show some stress. If this is the case, then your plant will be okay with a little bit of shade in the afternoon to avoid this. Otherwise, as much sun as possible is best.
Yes I totally agree about the high temps and the need for light shade in the afternoon on very hot days.

By CarnivorousChick
Btw you are very welcome for the tips. I've been growing fly traps for a little over 2 years now and I have learned so much about taking care of them... what works... what doesnt...and what type of abuse that mother nature gives them that they can withstand. This is one very hardy plant. It's only downfalls are minerals in water, staying too wet or drying out and too many consistently cold frozen days. But they are cold hardy and can withstand some very low temps and light freezes and snow. Just not staying frozen for longer than 3 or 4 days.... thawing out needs to happen pretty quickly. All in the all they are one of the best plants I've ever had honor of caring for!

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!