FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By hayproz13579
Hi everyone. It has been a long time since my last post in this forum. Today im going to post a question about my problem since my flytrap havent went into dormancy for about 1 year. I live in tropical climate country where winter does not happen. So is there any chance for me to save it?

Media : Dried sphagnum moss + perlite

Temperature : 26° - 34°

Light : 5hr of direct morning sunlight and the rest is indirect sunlightImageImage

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
By hayproz13579
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Do you own a fridge?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
OfcourseImage . But i know its going to be a loooooong procedure and i dont know the specific method to make it dormant without shock.

By PiranhaPlanter1
Start by giving it less light and letting the soil dry out a bit.if you have a cooler area in your house put it there. You're plant will die if you dont let it rest so dormancy should be a priority. What are youre tempuratures right now?

By hayproz13579
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Start by giving it less light and letting the soil dry out a bit.if you have a cooler area in your house put it there. You're plant will die if you dont let it rest so dormancy should be a priority. What are youre tempuratures right now?

Gradually decrease light and watering, then place it into the fridge?

My temp. Now is 34° - 27°

By PiranhaPlanter1
Precisely. Your temps will not induce dormancy.
I am more than hapoy to assist you along the way if you want to dm me.

By Doublebass1985
Damn bro that's quite a mess you got there. I would clean up all those dead decaying leaves and allow your plant to receive more light then it does now. Also it looks like it has been burnt from being too dry or what kind of water do you use to water it? You can make it survive it still has alot of life left in those guys unless your rhizome is mush,but it doesn't look that way. It's definitely not getting enough light could be from too far down in the pot. So either raise it higher with more moss or repot it into a shallower pot. If I were you I would take all those plants out of there and repot them into a new pot with some clean lfm. Your media is probably 50% dead leaves. Maybe not that much ,but it's not a healthy medium for them to grow in.
By Doublebass1985
You can wait 2-3 years to do dormancy, but I don't think that's recommended. In the shape that your plants are in it might be best to skip dormancy and get them back up to being a healthy plant again. In your climate those plants should be bench pressing 500 lbs, right now they don't have any arms to lift the weight bar.
By xr280xr
Doublebass1985 wrote:I would clean up all those dead decaying leaves and allow your plant to receive more light then it does now. Also it looks like it has been burnt from being too dry or what kind of water do you use to water it? You can make it survive it still has alot of life left in those guys unless your rhizome is mush,but it doesn't look that way. It's definitely not getting enough light could be from too far down in the pot. So either raise it higher with more moss or repot it into a shallower pot. If I were you I would take all those plants out of there and repot them into a new pot with some clean lfm. Your media is probably 50% dead leaves. Maybe not that much ,but it's not a healthy medium for them to grow in.
I agree. That sphagnum looks nasty. I would've thought it was peat. In the shape they're in, I don't think just putting them straight in the fridge would even shock them, but not sure it would benefit them either without a light source in there.
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Start by giving it less light and letting the soil dry out a bit.if you have a cooler area in your house put it there. You're plant will die if you dont let it rest so dormancy should be a priority. What are youre tempuratures right now?

This sounds like a death sentence to me. I would not decrease the light because they're already receiving a minimal amount of light. I would not decrease the water because your temperatures are not lowering HOWEVER, the look of your plant could quite possibly be due to over-watering it. So adjust your watering as needed to keep the media damp at all times, not too wet.

So what to do depends on whether they are in poor health due only to missed dormancies or if light, water, & media is also a problem. For the former, I would just try putting them right into a fridge dormancy. For the latter, I would repot and try to let them recover in as much light as possible for 4-8 weeks first. I seriously doubt the problem is dormancy if it's only missed one - but it will need to go dormant.
By hayproz13579
Doublebass1985 wrote:Damn bro that's quite a mess you got there. I would clean up all those dead decaying leaves and allow your plant to receive more light then it does now. Also it looks like it has been burnt from being too dry or what kind of water do you use to water it? You can make it survive it still has alot of life left in those guys unless your rhizome is mush,but it doesn't look that way. It's definitely not getting enough light could be from too far down in the pot. So either raise it higher with more moss or repot it into a shallower pot. If I were you I would take all those plants out of there and repot them into a new pot with some clean lfm. Your media is probably 50% dead leaves. Maybe not that much ,but it's not a healthy medium for them to grow in.
So my vft just need more sunlight than a dormancy?

By hayproz13579
xr280xr wrote:
Doublebass1985 wrote:I would clean up all those dead decaying leaves and allow your plant to receive more light then it does now. Also it looks like it has been burnt from being too dry or what kind of water do you use to water it? You can make it survive it still has alot of life left in those guys unless your rhizome is mush,but it doesn't look that way. It's definitely not getting enough light could be from too far down in the pot. So either raise it higher with more moss or repot it into a shallower pot. If I were you I would take all those plants out of there and repot them into a new pot with some clean lfm. Your media is probably 50% dead leaves. Maybe not that much ,but it's not a healthy medium for them to grow in.
I agree. That sphagnum looks nasty. I would've thought it was peat. In the shape they're in, I don't think just putting them straight in the fridge would even shock them, but not sure it would benefit them either without a light source in there.

This sounds like a death sentence to me. I would not decrease the light because they're already receiving a minimal amount of light. I would not decrease the water because your temperatures are not lowering HOWEVER, the look of your plant could quite possibly be due to over-watering it. So adjust your watering as needed to keep the media damp at all times, not too wet.

So what to do depends on whether they are in poor health due only to missed dormancies or if light, water, & media is also a problem. For the former, I would just try putting them right into a fridge dormancy. For the latter, I would repot and try to let them recover in as much light as possible for 4-8 weeks first. I seriously doubt the problem is dormancy if it's only missed one - but it will need to go dormant.
Thanks for the advises!!! For the new media can i use peat moss instead of lfm?

By xr280xr
Yes, sphagnum peat can be used as long as it doesn't have fertilizer. I prefer it with some perlite mixed in. Half peat, half perlite is commonly used.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!