FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By WeaponXtcle
Howdy all, am wondering what I picked up. They are going to be gifts and am now afraid they won't survive our mild Tx winters.
Thanks all.
Attachments:
20181126_124141_HDR.jpg
20181126_124141_HDR.jpg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 1365 times
By Shadowtski
They look like Drosera spatulata to me, that is a fairly common Sundew, often produced commercially.

They're Sub-Tropical, they should survive temps down to near freezing and up to tropically warm. (But they'll look ugly and unhappy at those extremes.)

The plant is the photo is all Green.
That's a sign of inadequate light.
There should be some Red coloration in the Glands, tentacles, and even some on the leaves, if the plant is getting enough light.

That's my two cents worth.

Mike
By KategoricalKarnivore
Those are either D. spatulata or D. tokaiensis. They are subtropical and don’t appreciate freezing temps but anything above should be ok.
By WeaponXtcle
Awesome, thanks. I've had them outside for the 2 days since getting them, but it's been overcast so not a whole lot of sun to be had. My biggest fear was they were tropical and would be a hassel to keep here in Tx.
By bananaman
D. spatulata and tokaiensis are both pretty tolerant — while I wouldn’t purposely expose them to freezing, I’ve had them take light freezes just fine. Some of my weedy spatulata seedlings have seen both light freezes (about 30° — cold enough that the soil surface of the pot froze) and up to 110° just in the past 4 months or so and are still growing great. I’d guess that they could probably take down to the mid/low 20s, provided it warms up in the day.

I’d say that they’re more heat tolerant than flytraps, certainly.
By WeaponXtcle
Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful information.
One thing I was wondering is, am I mistaken or are there 3 crowns?(2 you can see in the photo 3rd on the backside) or is this just how this plant grows?
Most sundews I have seen seem to have more of a flat coaster look vs the little half sphere shrubs.
When would it be a good time to seperate the crowns, assuming it wound even be advisable?
Thanks again everyone and happy growing.
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!