FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By IGotInStanford
Hey guys, I'm growing carnivorous plants from seeds and I need help. What kind of carnivorous plant do I need to stratify and what kind do not need it. I know sarracenia need stratification and nepenthes do not, can you guys get me in on the rest please. Thank you
By Bob Beer
Basically you just need to consider their place of origin. If it comes from a place with a distinct winter, then chances are it will need stratification. This is an adaptation to keep seeds from germinating in late fall and then freezing before they have a chance to get established. (In the case of annuals, it assures that they can mature and produce seed before the freeze comes, but I can’t think of any temperate annual carnivores right offhand.)

One seeming exception would be the warm temperate Pinguiculas; it might seem odd that they don’t need stratification while the pitcher plants that share their same regions do. The reason is mainly that they mature their seed quite quickly/early (as opposed to pitcher plants, which take an entire season), so the plants have plenty of time to get established.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob Beer liked this
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!