FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
Can someone point me in the direction of information, or give me advice on how to grow a Nepenthes ampullaria from seed? I have a peat moss and perlite mix. He'll be indoors under a lamp and right next to a heater vent. Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By tzestan
From seed or seedling? Seeds... generally keep the medium moist all time. For amp, ideal temperature is 25-30C. RH above 60%. 12 hour light. Sprinkle seeds on top. Should see some germinations in one month if seeds are viable. I am sure google can give more elaborate explanation on the rationale. Any specific question require clarification?
By Cross
tzestan wrote:From seed or seedling? Seeds... generally keep the medium moist all time. For amp, ideal temperature is 25-30C. RH above 60%. 12 hour light. Sprinkle seeds on top. Should see some germinations in one month if seeds are viable. I am sure google can give more elaborate explanation on the rationale. Any specific question require clarification?
Seed, I'm getting them from the seed bank. We're don't need to press the seeds in? How far apart should they be?

By Cross
PlanT640847401 wrote:microwave soil before hand so there is less mold
Is microwaving soil a thing? I have a 1200 watt, for how long?

By tzestan
Cross wrote:Seed, I'm getting them from the seed bank. We're don't need to press the seeds in? How far apart should they be?
I don't press the seeds. Dry seeds are hydrophobic. I understand that it may not make good contact with the medium. Usually, I drip water droplets once per day from second day till the end of the first week. Kind of simulating rain drops to push the seeds to stick to the medium. Hydrated seeds soften and stick easier. Don't bury the seeds. Seeds must be exposed to light to trigger germination.

Seedlings are safer to be transplanted out when they are large enough (~1cm) to be handled easily. So, you would want to space seeds considering that. Alternately, you may thin out weaker plants along the way if germination rate was really good.
Attachments:
Rafflesiana seedling spacing. Light-colored rods are toothpicks.
Rafflesiana seedling spacing. Light-colored rods are toothpicks.
Raff030214.jpg (701.11 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
By twitcher
I was successful in getting some of the ampullaria from the seed bank to sprout. The germination rate for this seed is not high, at least in my conditions.

I microwaved sphagnum to the boiling point, then let the sphagnum sit in the hot water for half an hour to limit unwanted pests. It is important to (imho) to get the media to boiling and then hold it hot for a while. I used 0 TDS water to boil and rinse the sphagnum.

The sphagnum was placed in a sealed transparent plastic container with chopped/fine sphagnum on top. I spread seed randomly across the surface and did not press to the surface. The sphagnum was wet enough to create significant condensation in the container. After planting seed, sprayed seed with water and closed the container.

I kept the seed under light 24/7 at room temperature. Container was opened weekly or so to examine for sprouts. Seed was sprayed a few more times as needed to keep the media moist enough to get condensation in the container.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!