FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
When DroseraFan donated a quantity of Tuberous Drosera seed, I requested a pack or two for my collection.

I planted them in January of 2018 and started a patient wait.
I did not treat the seeds with smoke or GA3.

Not one seed of any tuberous species had germinated by June.
So I thought I'd try to simulate an Australian Summer by letting the pots dry out.

Mid September, I put water back into the tray and waited, with little or no hope.
This morning I noticed numerous little Green specks in my Drosera peltata pot.

It looks like I have lift-off!

How did everyone else do with their Tuberous Drosera seeds?
Did your seeds germinate?
Did you pre-treat them, and if so, how?
By nimbulan
I got D. lunata and D. yilgarnensis, both of which require no special treatment. D. lunata I actually sowed some of in spring and had a bunch of germination, since it's a pretty late-season species. I sowed more of those and the yilgarnensis at the end of September (normally I'd do the beginning of September but I'd been waiting on other seeds) and have had germination on both pots - the yilgarnensis just this past weekend.

On the topic of GA3, I did try that on a bunch of my other tuberous sundew seeds and haven't seen much in the way of results yet. I'm not convinced it's effective on tuberous sundews at this point.
nimbulan liked this
By Hungry Plants
nimbulan wrote: On the topic of GA3, I did try that on a bunch of my other tuberous sundew seeds and haven't seen much in the way of results yet. I'm not convinced it's effective on tuberous sundews at this point.
Or do think it could be the cause of the lack of germination
By nimbulan
Hungry Plants wrote:
nimbulan wrote: On the topic of GA3, I did try that on a bunch of my other tuberous sundew seeds and haven't seen much in the way of results yet. I'm not convinced it's effective on tuberous sundews at this point.
Or do think it could be the cause of the lack of germination
GA3 can kill seeds, yes, but only if the treatment is too strong. I doubt any of us have passed that threshold.
By mo_carnivore
I got some seeds last year and throughout this year. After waiting the summer I sowed Drosera lunata, auriculata, yilgarnensis, and andersoniana. After a month I had germination from auriculata and lunata, and yilgarnensis followed soon after. I’m still waiting for andersoniana though. I think that consistently cool temperatures and a drop in photoperiod over the time since I showed them triggered the germination, but it’s my first foray into tuberous species so I’m not sure.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!