FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By spruill771
I can’t seem to figure this plant out. I’ve been able to grow every other genus of CP well, except this one. I’ve bought full size hardy plants, seedlings, and even tried germinating my own. All with no luck. Here’s the conditions I’ve been putting them in:

Lighting: I use a 65W GreatValue LED bulb about 8 inches from the plants for 12 hours per day. I’m under the impression that Darlingtonia like a bit more shade than typical temperate CPs.

Soil: Using pure LFSM, but I think next time I’m going to try whatever the ICPS care sheet recommends.

Water: Water tray method, TDS never exceeds 100. I have an aquarium pump that cycles the water and I use a piece of airline tubing that directs water directly over the roots 24/7.

Temperature: 68-75, depending on the time of day.

Humidity: 30-60%

*I can only think of a few things that it could be. The pot I’m keeping them in is too small for the plant to expand. From what I read, Darlingtonia likes pots that are wider than deeper. I think maybe it might be overwatering, the pot sits in a constant pool of water and the airline tubing that brings water to the top of the plant might be too much for it. I know that the both the coastal and mountain varieties are found in streams with rushing water, so I doubt that’s the culprit.

Another note: Before the plant dies, the pitchers turn dark green, then wilt before falling off. The ribosome turns dark, and any previous new growth turns yellow. I not able to grow the plant outdoors since I live in a student apartment and have no space outdoors for a growing setup. I’ll attach a picture once I get a chance. I appreciate any suggestions.
Last edited by spruill771 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Huntsmanshorn
I use dried sphag mixed with perlite 50/50 top dressed with live sphag. In my opinion you are keeping it to wet and the growing media is not "airy" enough.
By camsdad66
I don't have advice for you, only my sympathy. I know how you feel. I (foolishly) attempted to grow this challenging plant down here in the deep South (Louisiana) and it did not end well. I tried growing it outdoors and used nearly every technique I had read online, other than have a pump and timer douse the plants with cool water every couple hours. I did manage to keep some alive through dormancy and into the next spring (2018). We had a warm to hot spring season and they eventually succumbed to the heat, I suppose. I have almost resolved myself that this plant is nearly impossible to grow, unless you live in the right climate. It's just not a forgiving plant. You get no second chances. If I ever try it again, it will be with the pump setup, and if that doesn't work, I will swear Darlingtonia off forever, sadly. Sorry for the long reply. I hope you have better luck with it in the future if you try again!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
camsdad66 liked this
By SundewWolf
Sounds like rot.

As mentioned a 50/50 LFS/perlite mix is good, You want it to be very well draining and full of air pockets if you are going to be standing it in water, or running water into the pot.
I wouldn't use pure LFS.

The biggest problem is probably trying to grow it indoors, they seem to be like Sarracenia with a high light requirement (at least during the growing season). I put mine outdoors in full sun. The air circulation outside is also probably better for them, helping to prevent rot.

They like colder temperatures of course, but as long as it drops down at night they are fine. In my area it can be in the 90's during summer, but then it drops down to 70's at night which seems to be enough. I also have a solar powered pump so it only runs water onto the roots when the sun hits the solar panel (and the plant) directly. It will shut off later in the day when the sun gets lower, or if it's partly cloudy. There is not really a reason to be running water onto the plant constantly (unless it's extremely hot).

As mentioned you may have difficulty growing it outside in the deep south if the temperature isn't dropping a whole lot at night.

If I were you I would hold off on growing them until you have an outdoor space for plants.
SundewWolf liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
If you feel the only way you can grow these is indoors, under lights, then I would up the lighting to 14 or 16 hours a day. The plants don't need as much light as Sarrs but giving them more would probably help and it wouldn't hurt.
Huntsmanshorn liked this
By King Drosophyllum VI
I grew one indoors for a while when I lived in Maryland and it was green because it didn't get all the sunlight that it needs to be purple but other than it's color it looked normal. I moved to Texas about a year after I got it and made the stupid decision to grow it outside (I have no idea why I thought this was a good idea and I now beleve that I was an idiot at that time).
By iamjacksplants
What huntsman and sundewwolf said about your mix is spot in my opinion.

I keep mine inside and treat it just like my open shelf heliamphora. Upping your photo period is a must. 14 to 16 hours as mentioned. No need for constantly running water. They grow NEAR streams, not IN them. Airy mix with a fan for circulation is a must for inside growing.

I'm no expert but your description of symptoms and autopsy photos suggest rot, to me.

I think I'm getting good coloration for inside -
Kitchen counter - 10/31/18
Kitchen counter - 10/31/18
countertophelis10311801e.jpg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 2779 times
By SundewWolf
iamjacksplants wrote: No need for constantly running water. They grow NEAR streams, not IN them.
Maybe not indoors where you can cool them down easier, but I can't imagine growing them outdoors in full sun during the summer without the water pump trickling fresh cool water over them. Even though they are not directly in streams their habitat has seepage flowing through it which helps cool the roots.
SundewWolf liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!