FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
I was just wondering if anyone used Coco husk and how well it worked instead of peat?. For those of you that do, do you have to rinse it like peat?
By oval
I started using the coco coir recently, I guess that is the ground up husks and coconut fiber.

Yes! definitely wash it a few times even if it says it has already been washed. Let is soak for a while each time. I used 122 ppm tap water the first few times then used rain water.

So far my VFT seedlings seem to be doing better in it than in peat/sand, but that's not scientific, just my personal observation.

It does have a light, springy texture that I love and it doesn't seem to dry out as quickly as other media. My neps are in a mix of about 60% coir, 20% long fiber sphagnum, and 20% perlite. When the pot feels light, there is still quite a bit of moisture when you touch the media with your fingers.
oval liked this
By SundewWolf
I don't really like it since it's not acidic like peat, but I haven't ever done any experiments with similar plants to tell if one is much different than the other. I do however use coco coir with some nepenthes mixes and also in one ceph pot since I was too lazy to go outside for the peat in the garage. They seem fine as far as I can tell. I rinsed mine, but just once over, I didn't feel like measuring any TDS (mainly because I don't have a meter).
By Hungry Plants
Thank for the replies. My tap is 200ppm but the first rinse of pest with RO 3ppm test put at 170. So tap would raise it(right?). I like to do as much peat as I can so I have it on hand so it's a bit relentless. I was just looking for something that didn't need rinsing or very little. I'll have to try some and see how it goes. Anyone want to add more please do.
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!