FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By newgrower11
I've always been interested in carnivorous plants and after doing a lot of research, I finally went ahead and bought a nepenthes alata from my local Home Depot. However, I've started noticing that some of the leaves are turning black and I'm not sure why. I live in Miami (zone 11) and have my alata outside where it receives about four or five hours of direct sunlight in the morning and the rest of the day it receives indirect light from under a shade. I only water it once a day around noon, as when I check on it at night the soil is still slightly damp. I can't seem to find a lot of information about alatas online and I'm thinking that perhaps they require some sort of care that I'm not aware about.

It does have a lot of pitchers that look healthy, although some are starting to die. I know this is normal and there are few that look like they're about to open. I should also note that I've been using bottled water as I'm not sure about the quality of my tap water and I haven't yet bought distilled water. I also never mist it, as it never gets below 50% humidity in Miami.
Attachments:
IMG_5804.JPG
IMG_5804.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1908 times
IMG_5806.JPG
IMG_5806.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 1908 times
IMG_5803.JPG
IMG_5803.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1908 times
IMG_5802.JPG
IMG_5802.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1908 times
By Nepenthes0260
I can assure you that is not a N. alata. It's most likely a EXTREMELY common hybrid called N. X Ventrata involing N. alata and N. ventricosa. On the leaves that looks like cold damage to me, although I'm no Nep expert. I would move it to a warmer place. Also, Nepenthes alata is actually quite rare in cultivation, but requires the same care as any normal Nep, nothing special.
Hope this helps!
Nepenthes0260
By SundewWolf
As mentioned this is likely N. ventrata, the more common hybrid, and to me this looks like sunburn, so I would keep it in a more shady area. Bottled water usually is not much better than tap water so I would get the distilled water (or start collecting rain water) asap.
By Fieldofscreams
That is definitely a Ventrata and I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.

Pitchers turn red from the top down after they open. Sometimes stopping midway and sometimes it goes down the entire pitchers.

The leaf damage is normal, it happens with plants being outside, try not to worry about it, its just the cycle of life.

I keep mine outside in full sun, gets at least 6 hours of direct sun and I also water with tap water that is roughly 130 ppm. Ventrata's are bullet proof.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By newgrower11
Thanks for the feedback. I included the picture of one of the pitchers and healthy leaves to show that apart from the few leaves that are turning black, it seems healthy. I've read that sometimes the leaves turn black when they're moved to a new location, so I'm hoping that that's the only issue.
By javaliz59
Agree with all advice given...especially concerning changing to distilled or rainwater asap. Bottled water too high in minerals. Otherwise your Ventrata looks healthy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!