FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nightbreed
So I killed a drosera adalae :(. One day I noticed weird powdery green mold on some of the leaves. I probably over watered it :'(. I trimmed the infected leaves off but slowly the entire pot turned brown. I heard that they can come back from the roots. My question is should I leave the pot be at see what happens or try to cut the roots into pieces on new media? I have really bad luck with sundews.
Sorry for the messed up title. I'm on my phone and didn't reread what I typed.
By Shadowtski
I would consider digging it up, rinsing the roots off, cutting them up into 1 - 2 inch pieces and burying them 1/4 inch deep in fresh media.

Drosera adelae are one species that really don't like me too much either.

I've had my best luck growing them in LFSM with a top dressing of Live Sphagnum Moss.

Good growing,
Mike
By Nightbreed
It was pretty bad after shipping but it bounced back after 2 weeks until a few days ago and it crashed really hard. The seeds I got from hollyhock (capensis) have sprouted so hopefully I'll have success with at least one species. Thanks Mike.
By Nightbreed
Got a nice surprise when I was removing the plants. My pot didn't block as much light as I thought and I had a few plantlets. Here's hoping for more. The roots looked heathy and the lfsm wasn't overly wet so I'm not sure why the original plants died. Thanks again.
By SundewWolf
I would take a chance with the root propagations. I was dying for the "white flower form" adelae so someone sent me some root cuttings of it in an envelope late last november. I just kept them in a bag of moist sphagnum a few inches away from the light (exposure to light is very important for triggering the propagations to grow). With your existing ones I would still wrap them up or place in a humid container until they get to be about 1 inch in diameter.

Hard to say what the problem was without seeing it, but I guess it could be over watering. I was surprised with how dry mine can handle it. I often forget to water my bins (they are just planted straight into storage container type clear bins, maybe 1 foot long) and they are sometimes in completely dried out sphagnum before I water again. They survive, just are not so dewy until the recover a few weeks later. I have replicas of all 4 adelae varieties in individual pots in my Heli terrarium so I am a bit more lazy with my main trays knowing I have a backup plants if anything happens. But... I mention all of this just to show they don't really need to be that moist all the time. I certainly would not keep them soaking wet (tray set up, or watered every day).

Also what are the temps like? Adelae seems to be much healthier if they are kept in cooler conditions, 70*F - maybe 60*F.
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!