FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
If I want to put a bunch of VFTs in the same large pot, how far apart should I plant them so that they have enough room that they might feel like sprouting off some babies and won't become overcrowded for a few years? They're all just death cube typicals, so they won't get huge. And, as far as I can tell, they're all prone to short, wide growth rather than the traps-on-uber-long-stalks variety.
By MichaelGuardian
I'd say 5 or more inches between each plant. Like you said, the death cube vfts probably won't be that big. Also, can you post a pic of how large the vft is?
By Fishkeeper
Those are 4" pots. I didn't intend to have this many plants in this few pots, but there turned out to be a surprising number of plants in each of the pots I got. I actually have 16 of them; that one larger wonky one (which is definitely just one plant, it has only one rhizme), eight of the medium-smallish ones, and then seven very-small-to-tiny ones in the pot full of babies. I don't think the babies are going to need a new pot for a year or so, some of them are very small.
When they do need more space, though, I'm gonna want them all in the same pot, and I'm trying to figure out how much space I'll need. Definitely a nice deep pot, preferably 8" or more for root depth.
Do they need root space or trap space? As in, could I theoretically plant one at the very edge of the pot where its traps could hang out of the pot, or would it not like having its roots crowded by the pot wall?

Semi-related question: if I plant them in live sphagnum and keep the moss alive, would that mean that I wouldn't have to repot them until they ran out of space, since their substrate would keep regrowing instead of rotting down into mush?
By MichaelGuardian
Based on the isze of the plant, i'd say around 3 inches is enough between each plant. You will need a large pot to fit all of them though, something like a mini bog pot. And i think they wouldn't mind being on the edge of the pot. As for the live sphagnum moss, i think they would just overwhelm the small vfts, so it's not a good idea.
By Bryan18
I put about 3 medium to large sized plants in each 6 inch square pot. Any more and it turns into a jungle once they start dividing mid season. But if you're cramped on space, im sure you could fit more
By Sbrown72
I had them all evenly spaced apart at the beginning of this year. Think I will buy two or three more coolers and separate them even more next year. What I am wondering does anyone have an idea how much growing I should try to anticipate? I don't like them to be crowded like they are.
Attachments:
1017182310.jpg
1017182310.jpg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 4639 times
By Fieldofscreams
I prefer mine to be somewhat close to each other.

By Big-Jack
Fieldofscreams wrote:I prefer mine to be somewhat close to each other.

First one looks like my B-52's at the end of this year. Crazy growth and divisions when you keep them well fed. Some folks like their VFT's to have plenty of individual breathing room. Others like the dense bouquet of traps look and consider themselves failures if they can still see soil.
By Viko89
Am I a dionaeas torturer then ? :lol:

By jackjeckel
My outdoor "Wall Garden" of typicals in an 18" box.

There are 7 of them in there.

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!