FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By spruill771
I've been having issues lately with mosquitoes laying larvae inside some of my watering trays. I looked around the forum and many advised mosquito dunks as the solution. However, I noticed when testing the water's TDS following the introduction of the mosquito dunks, it came back around 150 ppm. This is well above the necessary limit. I use a zerowater filter, which always gives me water at 0 ppm. Over time, the TDS in the trays jumps to about 30-60 ppm after being exposed for some time, but never 150 ppm! Would this jump in TDS effect the plants? Or are the chemicals that the meter is reading ineffective to the plants?

By m80torpedo3
I use the mosquito dunks bits which are ground up. I have never checked the tds, but I have never had a problem and only use a pinch per tray. I have also put a little bit in a gallon jug of my RO water and let them soak for the stuff I top water.
By spruill771
m80torpedo3 wrote:I use the mosquito dunks bits which are ground up. I have never checked the tds, but I have never had a problem and only use a pinch per tray. I have also put a little bit in a gallon jug of my RO water and let them soak for the stuff I top water.
Maybe I should be breaking it up into smaller amounts. Let the water saturate down the chemicals in the tray. Just to be on the safe side.
Fieldofscreams wrote:They will raise the TDS but don't worry about it.

High TDS isn't necessarily bad, it's what is making it high that matters.
I think you're right. They've been sitting in the same pool of water for a while now and I'm not noticing anything. I read that the active ingredient is Bacillus thuringi- ensis subspecies israelensis.
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!