FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
My wife just surprised me with a Lowes clearance Flytrap. I love that woman!
It actually looks pretty good; 4 developed traps, 4 developing traps, 2 leaves without traps, 1 that I'll have to cut off due to it turning black, about 5 inches across. I was pleasantly surprised that it looks as good as it does. I've flushed the media 4 times with distilled water and put it in the corner of the windowsill in a tray with about a quarter of an inch of water where it will get good morning light, but not direct light.
It doesn't look "shocky", but I'll take baby steps just to be safe to give it the best chance I can.
It's been years since I've had a 'trap, hopefully I remember enough to not kill it.
Wish me luck,
Chef
By Doublebass1985
Which direction is the window facing? I assume east since you said it will get morning sun. I don't know if putting your plant in a water tray is the best thing for it because your media should be the lfm right? Atleast all mine I've gotten from Lowe's has lfm and that stuff is soo hygroscopic it might be best to top water if it isn't out in direct sunlight. Maybe I'm wrong ,but it can be very easy to over-water these plants and cause the rhizome to rot. You also might want to invest in a supplementary bulb to place on the plant too if your window doesn't provide adequate light. Anyways best of luck!
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
You might have more luck with putting that plant outside. Venus Flytraps need a lot of sun, and a windowsill is often too dim. They can get really unhealthy, and if it isn't too awful, they'll loose their coloration and look kind of sickly. Then again, you may have a windowsill that manages to get a good amount of sun. I have seen growers who manage to grow them inside with a windowsill that gets a ton of direct sunlight. But it's pretty rare. So if your plant is looking a tad green or stretched out, then put it outside and it should perk up pretty well.
By ChefDean
I should probably clarify.
I'm not sure what its light level was, seeing as how it came from a hardware store, so that's where the playing it safe comes in. It is an east facing window so it will get very good, direct sunlight for between 4 to 6 hours daily. However, since I am putting it in the corner of the window sill, it will get indirect sunlight for now.
As I see it progressing, I will move it out from the corner slowly so that it gets more and more direct sunlight. I'm thinking I'm going to keep it out during its normal dormancy period, just because I don't know how robust it is right now. Who knows? This plant makes spring right back, do it's own thing, go dormant, and progress normally from there.
Time will tell.
Chef
By jackjeckel
ChefDean wrote:As I see it progressing, I will move it out from the corner slowly so that it gets more and more direct sunlight
I think you only need to acclimate it slowly if it is outdoors.

I think the window unfortunately filters out enough light indoors that you can put it in full light right away.

And where is everyone finding all of these Lowes and Walmart and hardware store VFT's? I haven't found any at any store since that batch we got in back in March at work.
By ChefDean
jackjeckel wrote:And where is everyone finding all of these Lowes and Walmart and hardware store VFT's? I haven't found any at any store since that batch we got in back in March at work.
I can't speak for others, but the Walmart in my area, Clarksville, TN, had them up until July, then abruptly stopped. Lowes had an initial bunch in Spring of large and small live VFT's, along with little kits with a VFT rhizome and a pitcher plant rhizome. That bunch sold out quick and then there was nothing. My wife actually took a wrong turn while looking for something else at Lowes and found a new shipment had come in. But they were on an end cap display, tucked back on a bottom shelf, facing a wall in the middle of houseplant supplies.
Weird.
Chef
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!