FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jagasian
While doing research on fungicides, I bumped into a fungicide that is great for curing fungus and mold infections in plants, but even better, for healthy plants that have no infection, this fungicide increases the plant’s growth rate and the longevity of its leaves.

Azoxystrobin is the fungicide, and it is inexpensive and easy to obtain as Scotts Disease-Ex Lawn Fungicide.
71D3272B-0018-4B28-8937-CC22B890A199.jpeg
71D3272B-0018-4B28-8937-CC22B890A199.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 22488 times
For $15 get 10 pounds! An application for a fly trap is 500 mg (about a quarter of a teaspoon) mixed with 8 fl oz of distilled water. Then you water your fly trap with this solution after vigorously mixing it. Do this 3 times per growing season. A 10 pound bag would allow you to treat 30 fly traps for 100 years! It is a systemic fungicide that will protect your plant from rot, but more importantly, it increases your plants rate of growth and the longevity of its leaves and traps.

Here is a research article that explains why. Azoxystrobin is a class of fungicide known as a strobilurin. It is not a fertilizer, but instead the chemical protects the plant from oxidization that naturally occurs due to the wear and tear of photosynthesis and other natural and normal forms of environmental stress. The research article discusses a different molecular form of strobilurin that is equivalent in effect as the more commonly available azoxystrobin.

Azyoxystrobin is a systemic fungicide, which means the plant will soak it up through its roots and then spread it throughout the inside of the plant. The effects of azoxystrobin last for about 30 days, so watering your plant with it once per month during summer is ideal (max 3 applications per year).
Last edited by Jagasian on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagasian, Jagasian, Jagasian and 1 others liked this
By t9gear
Report back in a month or so. If your plants are still alive I’m gonna buy some :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben Goudge liked this
By Jagasian
I applied it 4 weeks ago when I had a fungal outbreak after I repotted into a self watering pot and I overwatered. It cured the fungus and mold infection, and my plant is speeding up in growth.

Here is another research article that explicitly tests azoxystrobin and a few other fungicides. If you search google, you will find tests on many different types of plants, all with the same effect.
By schmeg
Azoxystrobin is highly toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates.

If you use this, please be extremely careful of how you store and dispose it. (Don't pour down drain.) Agricultural poisons are a huge threat to species across the biological spectrum.

And probably anyone who has plants in an outdoor bog environment should avoid this completely.
MikeB, Adriana liked this
By t9gear
Can you share some before after pics. If you have any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Jagasian
schmeg wrote:Azoxystrobin is highly toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates.

If you use this, please be extremely careful of how you store and dispose it. (Don't pour down drain.) Agricultural poisons are a huge threat to species across the biological spectrum.

And probably anyone who has plants in an outdoor bog environment should avoid this completely.
While this can be a bad environmental pollutant, it is really only an issue when used at a large scale on home lawns, golf courses, and farms, which is the dominant use of azoxystrobin. Using tiny 500 mg applications a few times a year on potted plants is not going to be an issue.
By Jagasian
In this thread, I posted time lapse videos showing the greening effect of azoxystrobin.
post318650.html#p318650

About 6 seconds into the two videos, I watered the plant with 500mg of Scotts (which contains 1.7mg of azoxystrobin). You can clearly see the plant become noticeably greener and grow faster.
By Tryner78
Sooo....... I have bought some of this and will test effectiveness on various other CP's. the concentration I am using is much lower for the time being, since I did not have an accurate scale (it's only good for measurements >1g). I measured out ~2g and dissolved it into 250 ml of distilled water. I then diluted 10 ml of this (80mg) into 120ml of distilled water. This has been used on three baby flytraps and two Drosera Tokaiensis. A dose of ~5mg has been given to a ping, as well as some given to full size flytraps and sarracenias. I'll do a full post to document this.
By 1cashew
Good job Tryner on testing the effectiveness of this product on other carnivorous plants. One thing to bear in mind, which you may be but you did not mention this, are the manufacturer's recommendations for application. The manufacturer (on the bag) recommends 12.6 mg/sq inch for curative purposes and 6.3 mg/sq inch as a preventive. Well really the bag says four pounds per 1000 sq feet for curative and two pounds per 1000 sq feet as a preventative. So 500 mg as Jagasian mentions is just about right for a 7" round pot which is what I believe is what his plant was in when he was treating it for fungus. Your 80 gram solution is just about right to treat a 3.5 inch diameter pot for prevention. The product is designed to be applied at a rate of weight of product per soil area. The water is just a carrier. If you were to apply the product consistent with the manufacturer's recommendations it would give anyone who is interested a good base line to follow. Or apply at half the manufactures recommendations. Whatever you chose to do, it is your idea, your time, your experiment and a great idea. Good luck!!
By Coco
Tryner78 wrote:Sooo....... I have bought some of this and will test effectiveness on various other CP's. the concentration I am using is much lower for the time being, since I did not have an accurate scale (it's only good for measurements >1g). I measured out ~2g and dissolved it into 250 ml of distilled water. I then diluted 10 ml of this (80mg) into 120ml of distilled water. This has been used on three baby flytraps and two Drosera Tokaiensis. A dose of ~5mg has been given to a ping, as well as some given to full size flytraps and sarracenias. I'll do a full post to document this.
Hey Tryner78,

How has your plants been doing since then?
By gettomars
Coco wrote:Hey Tryner78,

Legend has it that the treatment worked so well that the flytraps became so massive that he was eaten.
By mcgrumpers
gettomars wrote:
Coco wrote:Hey Tryner78,

Legend has it that the treatment worked so well that the flytraps became so massive that he was eaten.
Roid rage in VFTs is no laughing matter.

But seriously, this treatment would be cool to try on cobra lilies. I remember reading speculation that they can actually take high temperatures but are prone to dying from fungus with too much heat + humidity.
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!