FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan_
A few years ago I purchased some Venus Fly Trap seed from CzPlants.com or BestCarnicorousPlants.net

And I remember one of those vendors seeds never germinated but the other did. I am trying to figure out which vendor I purchased from that had great vft germination rates. Which of those 2 vendors did you guys order vft seeds from and had the most success with?
By riveraXVX
just so you are aware seeds from a venus fly trap regardless of what the parents are will not produce a cloned cultivar from its seeds. so buy specifically buying "green swamp" clone seeds, you will not be growing the cultivar "green swamp" from them.

they may look similar, they may share similar traits but technically they are just 'typicals' in name

not to discourage looking for seeds from certain clones or certain crosses of certain clones by any means - as you can get some interesting looking plants in the end or just a bunch that look regular like any other - but just wanted to point that out in case you were unaware either way!
By riveraXVX
also FTS does offer or is about to be offering "Rehder Giant" clones - these are ones (three plants in total #1 being offered up soon/they may have some if you contact them ready) which were selected (with permission obviously) by Matt to tissue culture that came from the Stanley Rehder gardens in Wilmington. so if you were specifically looking for something directly from NC that is one clone directly from the ground there modern day. (not that they all don't trace back to that region somewhere back in time)
By Jonathan_
riveraXVX wrote:just so you are aware seeds from a venus fly trap regardless of what the parents are will not produce a cloned cultivar from its seeds. so buy specifically buying "green swamp" clone seeds, you will not be growing the cultivar "green swamp" from them.

they may look similar, they may share similar traits but technically they are just 'typicals' in name

not to discourage looking for seeds from certain clones or certain crosses of certain clones by any means - as you can get some interesting looking plants in the end or just a bunch that look regular like any other - but just wanted to point that out in case you were unaware either way!
I am well aware of that sir ":) The thing is about me is if I get seeds from a Green Seamp Clone from a plant that was originally from the area is I would get a " "Natural" Flytrap. I don't like all these cultivars where their genes have been messed with by human hands. There is no such thing as a WackyTraps plant in the wild and if you did harvest seed from that cultivar it may have some of those unnatural traits and I hate that. I don't even liken scientifcally bred fish where their Gene's have been manipulated to have a certain trait. I like natural fish like you see in the wild. a WackyTraps Flytrap could also have the name "Typical" if there was no name for it.
By riveraXVX
Jonathan_ wrote:
riveraXVX wrote:just so you are aware seeds from a venus fly trap regardless of what the parents are will not produce a cloned cultivar from its seeds. so buy specifically buying "green swamp" clone seeds, you will not be growing the cultivar "green swamp" from them.

I am well aware of that sir ":) The thing is about me is if I get seeds from a Green Seamp Clone from a plant that was originally from the area is I would get a " "Natural" Flytrap. I don't like all these cultivars where their genes have been messed with by human hands. There is no such thing as a WackyTraps plant in the wild and if you did harvest seed from that cultivar it may have some of those unnatural traits and I hate that. I don't even liken scientifcally bred fish where their Gene's have been manipulated to have a certain trait. I like natural fish like you see in the wild. a WackyTraps Flytrap could also have the name "Typical" if there was no name for it.
the thing with that line of thinking even if you got seeds from a plant originally from that area specifically -- the results from the offspring may be as atypical looking as any cultivar. they were all just random seed grown typicals from plants from the area in reality. any seeds can produce any variety of results - some parentages just might offer a higher chance for specific quirks. you may still get unwanted traits from those specific seeds +/-

I personally would just get random seeds from open pollinated plants and call it a day - we let all of ours open pollinate this year amongst typicals and a variety of cultivars a random roll of the proverbial dice for results!

have around 200 of the seedlings at the moment growing!

good luck in the search!
By Viko89
I've also placed an order to CzPlants.com (6 kinds of droseras seeds and a vft variety seeds).
About the droseras none ever germinated and about the vft they sent the wrong variety (I wanted akai ryu and I received an all green/alba variety of seeds).
I've messaged them about it and never got an answer so personally they're definitely on my black list.

Jonathan_ wrote:A few years ago I purchased some Venus Fly Trap seed from CzPlants.com or BestCarnicorousPlants.net

And I remember one of those vendors seeds never germinated but the other did. I am trying to figure out which vendor I purchased from that had great vft germination rates. Which of those 2 vendors did you guys order vft seeds from and had the most success with?
By riveraXVX
Viko89 wrote:I've also placed an order to CzPlants.com (6 kinds of droseras seeds and a vft variety seeds).
About the droseras none ever germinated and about the vft they sent the wrong variety (I wanted akai ryu and I received an all green/alba variety of seeds).
I've messaged them about it and never got an answer so personally they're definitely on my black list.

Jonathan_ wrote:A few years ago I purchased some Venus Fly Trap seed from CzPlants.com or BestCarnicorousPlants.net

as mentioned above the other other poster even if you buy seeds from a cultivar like "akai ryu" the resulting plants you will grow from them are not "Akai Ryu" you may get some similar looking plants you may get none" there are no cultivars when it comes to seeds for venus flytraps. flytrap seeds are flytrap seeds. cultivars are specific clones that you can not propagate from seeds of a clone and end up with identical clone.
By Jonathan_
Viko89 wrote:I've also placed an order to CzPlants.com (6 kinds of droseras seeds and a vft variety seeds).
Where they mislabeled on the bag? or did you wait until the seeds matured and then found out once they where adult plants?
By Viko89
It was labelled a diferent way on the bag plus on the invoice. It was supposed to be Akai Ryu (I thought it's a natural cultivar which was an exception and transmitting through seeds) because I wanted a red plant to do crossings. In the end they sent "dionaea heterophylla" (alba plant, the opposite of what I needed, I did 't even try to make it germinate).
They never answered my messages.
Jonathan_ wrote:
Where they mislabeled on the bag? or did you wait until the seeds matured and then found out once they where adult plants?
By sbrooks
Jonathan_ wrote:I am well aware of that sir ":) The thing is about me is if I get seeds from a Green Seamp Clone from a plant that was originally from the area is I would get a " "Natural" Flytrap. I don't like all these cultivars where their genes have been messed with by human hands. There is no such thing as a WackyTraps plant in the wild and if you did harvest seed from that cultivar it may have some of those unnatural traits and I hate that. I don't even liken scientifcally bred fish where their Gene's have been manipulated to have a certain trait. I like natural fish like you see in the wild. a WackyTraps Flytrap could also have the name "Typical" if there was no name for it.

So, what kind of pets do you have? Maybe a Jackal and a couple of Bobcats? 8-)
Milk your own cow?

I'm just messin' with ya.

Do you own BZ 1955? I would have to assume that it's genetics are fairly close to "wild", if not taken directly from the native area.

I was given a few Green Swamp divisions, but I can't say with absolute certainty that they are legit; the source has had questionable credibility in the past.
By Jonathan_
sbrooks wrote:
Jonathan_ wrote:I am well aware of that sir ":) The thing is about me is if I get seeds from a Green Seamp Clone from a plant that was originally from the area is I would get a " "Natural" Flytrap. I don't like all these cultivars where their genes have been messed with by human hands. There is no such thing as a WackyTraps plant in the wild and if you did harvest seed from that cultivar it may have some of those unnatural traits and I hate that. I don't even liken scientifcally bred fish where their Gene's have been manipulated to have a certain trait. I like natural fish like you see in the wild. a WackyTraps Flytrap could also have the name "Typical" if there was no name for it.

So, what kind of pets do you have? Maybe a Jackal and a couple of Bobcats? 8-)
Milk your own cow?

I'm just messin' with ya.

Do you own BZ 1955? I would have to assume that it's genetics are fairly close to "wild", if not taken directly from the native area.
Hello sir.. So sorry it took me this long to respond! My apologies. No I don't own a BZ1955 however I did get a TC of Render Giant from Matt. Unfortunately our move had a negative impact on them. There is 1 left that I hope will make it from the past abuse during the move. Fingers crossed! I just put it in a pot hoping it will take. I also bought some vft seeds from CZplants and hoping they will germinate.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!