FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By nuck
A couple of MTS laying by the warm glass. These were the only pics I could get at the moment, but they tend to come out quite a bit. As far as I can tell there are 3, possibly 4. However there are many more hiding about.
A couple of MTS laying by the warm glass. These were the only pics I could get at the moment, but they tend to come out quite a bit. As far as I can tell there are 3, possibly 4. However there are many more hiding about.
20181005_154614.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 4680 times
Below is an overview of Jarrarium 1:
To summarize, a great clump of string algae overran the surface floor of the jar and had overwhelmed the Gibba to the point of near-death. It had also killed off most of my remaining Hornwort plant, and out-competed the Duckweed to the point that they had devolved into tiny stunted leaves floating on the water surface.
To combat this threat to the Gibba, and any other semblance to an advanced plant lifeform, I removed most of the visible string algae. This however was a mistake as I had not realized that tons of Ostracod cliques, and clans had made this their safe haven. I dub this update, and the previous month before as the Great Culling or the Lesser Extinction Event (the former extinction event being the 'Greater' of the two). However, I believe the next update will signify it's end.
Overview of specimen jar one. I dub this era as, "The Great Culling" or the Lesser Extinction Event. This is because of the recent removal of a huge swathe of string algae that caused many of the remaining plant-life to wither away in huge amounts, almost to the point of death. By also removing the algae, I unknowingly doomed many seed shrimp that had made the Green Pasta their home. Ostrocod levels are very low at this point in time.
Overview of specimen jar one. I dub this era as, "The Great Culling" or the Lesser Extinction Event. This is because of the recent removal of a huge swathe of string algae that caused many of the remaining plant-life to wither away in huge amounts, almost to the point of death. By also removing the algae, I unknowingly doomed many seed shrimp that had made the Green Pasta their home. Ostrocod levels are very low at this point in time.
20181005_152618.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 4680 times
So I mentioned that I captured something pretty neat earlier. Well I figured I might as well clarify on what I meant by capture.
You see, I have a empty pool that occasionally fills with pure sky water from time to time, however it is most sustainable for life when the monsoon comes around. The copious amounts of rainfall create a artificial pond that supports algae growth, and in turn living organisms as large as Dragonfly nymphs. This year there were no backstriders to be found, however tons of dragonfly nymphs, mosquito larvae and surprisingly enough, a triop that survived a whole batch of eggs were to be observed and captured.

However I did not expect lady luck to bless me with another chance at capturing this moment with a specific inveterate. I have caught this insect only once, and did not realize what it was until attempting to feed it to my fish; what it did, amazed me. It darted down to the aquarium bottom gracefully outmaneuvering all my fish, doing exactly the opposite any insect would do once in that situation.
I then realized that it was some kind of Water Scavenger Beetle (Hydrophiloidea).

I don't know what happened to it since, possibly devoured, or potentially flew out of the aquarium for better pastures. However now I finally have proof of capturing one of these beautiful organisms.

Here are some more pictures, I will start off with the pool/pond:
This is where I catch my aquatic creepy crawlers. I let the monsoon do its thing, and when it calms down, I rent a drainer. Some of the rare perks of living out in the Southwest US.
This is where I catch my aquatic creepy crawlers. I let the monsoon do its thing, and when it calms down, I rent a drainer. Some of the rare perks of living out in the Southwest US.
20181005_172712.jpg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 4680 times
Attempts to clean up plant debris and algae could potentially harbor more organisms if left in the pots. Who knows? But I'll get it all out when it's drained, preferably before the crickets, and terrestrial creepy crawlies make it their new home.
Attempts to clean up plant debris and algae could potentially harbor more organisms if left in the pots. Who knows? But I'll get it all out when it's drained, preferably before the crickets, and terrestrial creepy crawlies make it their new home.
20181005_172720.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 4680 times
Best chance to get an isolated closeup of our beetle friend here.
Best chance to get an isolated closeup of our beetle friend here.
20181005_165740.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 4680 times
On to GIFs:

https://j.gifs.com/wmGwNz.gif
100% flight-prevention.
100% flight-prevention.
gif.gif (1.76 MiB) Viewed 4680 times
https://j.gifs.com/59O4kA.gif
Observing its surroundings (or eating?).
Observing its surroundings (or eating?).
gif (2).gif (2.03 MiB) Viewed 4680 times
https://j.gifs.com/kZpLkK.gif
Took me forever to catch it in mid-strides. It always waited until I stopped recording before it would dart off, the little bugger!
Took me forever to catch it in mid-strides. It always waited until I stopped recording before it would dart off, the little bugger!
gif (4).gif (2.14 MiB) Viewed 4680 times
Last edited by nuck on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mawy_Plants
That's super neat! I remember learning about aquatic insects and was never able to catch any of my own for that class. Very, very cool, hopefully you'll be blessed with another!
Mawy_Plants liked this
By riveraXVX
taht is awesome we have approximately a half acre pond on our property that has many of the aquatic bugs swimming around inside including the backstriders! they are so fast darting around upside down! I first spotted them down there at night during frog/toad mating season in the spring as I was capturing some audio of specific frogs/toads and video

at about the 15 second mark of this 30 second video it switched to another small clip you can see some of the aquatic ones scurrying about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afskV7oCiuQ
riveraXVX, riveraXVX liked this
By Mawy_Plants
I could listen to that for hours! How cool! Your plants are competing with them for the insects! :lol:
riveraXVX wrote:taht is awesome we have approximately a half acre pond on our property that has many of the aquatic bugs swimming around inside including the backstriders! they are so fast darting around upside down! I first spotted them down there at night during frog/toad mating season in the spring as I was capturing some audio of specific frogs/toads and video

at about the 15 second mark of this 30 second video it switched to another small clip you can see some of the aquatic ones scurrying about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afskV7oCiuQ
By riveraXVX
Mawy_Plants wrote:I could listen to that for hours! How cool! Your plants are competing with them for the insects! :lol:
riveraXVX wrote:taht is awesome we have approximately a half acre pond on our property that has many of the aquatic bugs swimming around inside including the backstriders! they are so fast darting around upside down! I first spotted them down there at night during frog/toad mating season in the spring as I was capturing some audio of specific frogs/toads and video

not to detract from the thread here (I obviously love this whole thread and Idea! I had not even thought about collecting items FROM our pond for a setup like this. I wonder what else is lurking in the waters of ours hmm.

come spring time its a near deafening chorus of different toads/frogs returning to mate the first year we lived here walked about a quarter way around the pond and counted over 200 frogs/toads just in that small region a couple months later it is a massive frog/toad exodus moving out and away until they mature and venture back to mate themselves. they've become a nuisance for our plants burrowing in them and hanging out for food too haha

I might have to go collect and strain a few scoops from the pond and throw it in a jar just to see what I can see in there over time. Nuck I may try to start something like this afterall!
riveraXVX liked this
By nuck
riveraXVX wrote:
Mawy_Plants wrote: I might have to go collect and strain a few scoops from the pond and throw it in a jar just to see what I can see in there over time. Nuck I may try to start something like this afterall!
Go for it man, it's worth the experience!

Whole reason I started this thread was to document, and encourage others. Even though I'm not active in it as much as I was before, it's still nice to check around from time to time, just to see how things are changing.

Hopefully next update, things will be more interesting.

EDIT: I would really appreciate it though if someone could ID this beetle. I assume it's a Hydrophilidae, but it doesn't receive oxygen head first as some sources say. I'm perplexed to what this is, but I will continue to observe it.
By nuck
Guys... I caught another one.

I'm going to see how many I can find in my pool-pond later this week.

EDIT: Found another triop, however it was still a baby.
By riveraXVX
nuck wrote:
riveraXVX wrote:
Mawy_Plants wrote: I might have to go collect and strain a few scoops from the pond and throw it in a jar just to see what I can see in there over time. Nuck I may try to start something like this afterall!
Go for it man, it's worth the experience!

Whole reason I started this thread was to document, and encourage others. Even though I'm not active in it as much as I was before, it's still nice to check around from time to time, just to see how things are changing.

Hopefully next update, things will be more interesting.

I tried my best to ID the ones spotted in our pond but couldn't narrow it down well enough unfortunately

EDIT: I would really appreciate it though if someone could ID this beetle. I assume it's a Hydrophilidae, but it doesn't receive oxygen head first as some sources say. I'm perplexed to what this is, but I will continue to observe it.
By Mawy_Plants
You got another! Wooo! Any luck with ID? Maybe I should pull out my old guide and take a gander. Haha.

I also second RiveraXVX creating one! What I would do with a pond like yours! I'd be stuck starring at all the activity occurring there.

I was able to get my hands on U. stellaris and have been kinda experimenting with different locations and different set ups. I have these super tiny creatures, someone suggested they're Daphina (originated from the seller). Anyway, I was able to introduce them into another culture/ jar(4) and I've noticed an increase in population there. My initial culture/ jar(3) crashed which propmpeted the introduction, since recovered tho. It's been fun seeing them do their thing. I'm sure a few have become a snack for the plants too!
By nuck
Mawy_Plants wrote:You got another! Wooo! Any luck with ID? Maybe I should pull out my old guide and take a gander. Haha.
Unfortunately not, but I did find another critter in the mean time. It was a plump see-through crustacean with a kind of green spine-like organ which kind of resembled a tiny sea horse. I believe it's some type of Daphnia but it's pretty big, around the size of a juvenile triop.

I will post pictures of my findings whenever I can.

I also went to the local aquatics shop, and got some free floating plants. I'm hoping it will cut down on ammonia production in the jar rather than add to it, but you never know. It isn't rare to see plants dissolve from the extreme amounts of toxic waste produced by the seed shrimp. It's a miracle the Gibba is still alive!
Mawy_Plants wrote: I was able to get my hands on U. stellaris and have been kinda experimenting with different locations and different set ups. I have these super tiny creatures, someone suggested they're Daphina (originated from the seller). Anyway, I was able to introduce them into another culture/ jar(4) and I've noticed an increase in population there. My initial culture/ jar(3) crashed which propmpeted the introduction, since recovered tho. It's been fun seeing them do their thing. I'm sure a few have become a snack for the plants too!
Sounds interesting. I'm planning on trying to get some daphnia as well, they look so interesting, and I'd love to see them plump up my Utric.
How'd you get the Stellaris? I've been trying to get another chance at trying out another Utric, but no luck.
By nuck
Forgot to mention in the recent update, so I updated it real quick. I consider the past month dealing with this algae overgrowth as another catastrophic event. 70% of plant organisms died off, and by removing the string algae, I mistakenly killed off tons of seed shrimp that inhabited the algae clump (regret not taking pictures of the algae growth to provide a clearer picture, rather than words). I only realized this after observing the jarrarium today, and realizing how little seed shrimp were left. Honestly these newer generations of Ostracods seem to be getting smaller as well, could be the side effects of constant inbreeding, or adapting to the smaller environment. Who knows?
By nuck
Alright guys. I will start off by showcasing some of the creatures I caught over these couple days, starting from October 8th, 2018 to today (10/10/18). Unfortunately I did not get any pictures for the diving beetles because they were kind of unexpected and in the moment situations. I mostly caught everything by hand or water bottle.
Now let's begin:
An immature Triops, not even half the size of what it will turn into. Set him back into the pond to live it's content, short life. Will provide a video link to see it in its "natural" habitat, below.
An immature Triops, not even half the size of what it will turn into. Set him back into the pond to live it's content, short life. Will provide a video link to see it in its "natural" habitat, below.
triop catch.jpg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Click here for video!
I'm assuming this is some type of Daphnia. Only one I found so far, and it was very sensitive to water changes. Here are three picture catching it in two different angles (side-view, and bottom-view).
I'm assuming this is some type of Daphnia. Only one I found so far, and it was very sensitive to water changes. Here are three picture catching it in two different angles (side-view, and bottom-view).
daphnia catch.jpg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
https://j.gifs.com/0VWqmX.gif
Very strange swimmer. (Apologies for bad quality)
Very strange swimmer. (Apologies for bad quality)
gif.gif (759.23 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
https://j.gifs.com/zKWPor.gif
Daphnia swimming along with a mosquito larvae (food). Spoiler alert: The Daphnia disappeared. Either devoured by the beetles, or dead from shock.
Daphnia swimming along with a mosquito larvae (food). Spoiler alert: The Daphnia disappeared. Either devoured by the beetles, or dead from shock.
gif (2).gif (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Found this single blood worm. Only one of its kind and it's off to be fed to the beetles. :p
Found this single blood worm. Only one of its kind and it's off to be fed to the beetles. :p
20181010_112944.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
So I'm pretty confident that I ID'ed the beetle(s). It's actually not a type of Water Scavenging Beetle (Hydrophilidae), but actually a Diving Beetle (Dytiscidae) within the Genus Laccophilus. It took a minute of observation, and multiple comparisons but I believe that's what it is. I figured something was off when it collected oxygen through it's abdomen rather it's head. They are supposedly pretty common, and are found in every temperate or tropical region on Earth varying in splotched color patterns.

I now have captured three of these beetles in my pond, and have introduced them into Specimen Jar I.

In regards to the recent loss of plant life, and seedlings to the vicious scourge of string algae (The Great Culling - Second Extinction Event), I have introduced more plants into both jar one and three. The kind worker at my local fish store gave me handfuls of Hornwort for a really good price, a bit too much perhaps, which is why I put some into Specimen Jar III (and my pool-pond). I also got some more Duckweed, and two other clumps of free floating plants (unidentified ATM).
As of 10/08/2018, the Great Culling has officially ended, and a new era has arisen from the decay left from the recent extinction event.
As of 10/08/2018, the Great Culling has officially ended, and a new era has arisen from the decay left from the recent extinction event.
overview.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
https://j.gifs.com/KZJXpG.gif
Seed Shrimp doing what they do best, bouncing back from catastrophes. In a way they are the Homosapiens of this Jarrarium.
Seed Shrimp doing what they do best, bouncing back from catastrophes. In a way they are the Homosapiens of this Jarrarium.
gif (2).gif (1.11 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Considerable amounts of oxygen being produced a day after introducing the plants into the ecosphere. These air bubbles will be very important, and you will see why very soon.
Considerable amounts of oxygen being produced a day after introducing the plants into the ecosphere. These air bubbles will be very important, and you will see why very soon.
20181009_160121.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Another picture displaying a bigger oxygen bubble formed under a curled leaf, preventing the air from exiting the water surface. The notorious Gibba jungle is also featured in this snap.
Another picture displaying a bigger oxygen bubble formed under a curled leaf, preventing the air from exiting the water surface. The notorious Gibba jungle is also featured in this snap.
20181009_160158.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
This was very unexpected, and happened as soon as I took the first picture. Interestingly, the beetles will use these air bubbles as "pit stops" to refuel on breathable air. They may be aquatic, however their origins are deeply rooted in their terrestrial past.
This was very unexpected, and happened as soon as I took the first picture. Interestingly, the beetles will use these air bubbles as "pit stops" to refuel on breathable air. They may be aquatic, however their origins are deeply rooted in their terrestrial past.
20181009_160318.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Little guys need a rest from time to time. It's good to have something they can climb on outside of the water to rest on. However that does not stop them from resting underwater as well, this is just the safer route. Check out the patterns on its back.
Little guys need a rest from time to time. It's good to have something they can climb on outside of the water to rest on. However that does not stop them from resting underwater as well, this is just the safer route. Check out the patterns on its back.
20181009_162427.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
https://j.gifs.com/OyNlxE.gif
Watch how fast these can dart around under water. Looking at the pictures pre-GIF'ed, the beetle is quite blurred and gets to the stem in around 6 snaps.
Watch how fast these can dart around under water. Looking at the pictures pre-GIF'ed, the beetle is quite blurred and gets to the stem in around 6 snaps.
gif.gif (2.33 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Unsurprisingly I ended up with some stowaway Ramshorn snails. Could potentially be a problem in the future, but not something I'm too worried about and am welcoming with open arms. If the plants grow too much, the Ramshorn's could potentially keep their growth in check. They could also potentially crash the entire system if they eat up all the plants; decaying or dead plants actually contribute in turning the water toxic by producing excess ammonia/nitrites. Combined with a decrease of oxygen production, nitrite/nitrate absorbents in the form of plants, and lack of constant food source is what eventually leads into a system collapse. Plant die off is a huge contributor to ammonia spikes, and inevitable algal blooms.
Ramshorn spotted, there are a ton of them in Specimen Jar III.
Ramshorn spotted, there are a ton of them in Specimen Jar III.
20181009_171112.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Uh-oh, a Ramshorn spotted in Jar numero uno.
Uh-oh, a Ramshorn spotted in Jar numero uno.
20181009_191410.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
This update I will also be trying something new. Night pictures!
Rarely do I ever get to showcase the MTS in their natural state as they are a nocturnal animal. With the increase of their population, it is now easier more than ever to get pictures of them in groups. I also figured it would kind of be counter-intuitive to take pictures in the dark, especially of a glass jar. However, with the addition of more plants and creatures, I now have reason to take pictures in the dark!

https://j.gifs.com/86j8Q3.gif
First time I took pictures of Jar 1 in the night. It really amazed me how many Seed Shrimp there actually were. The dark background makes them much more easier to see. Apologies for the shakiness.
First time I took pictures of Jar 1 in the night. It really amazed me how many Seed Shrimp there actually were. The dark background makes them much more easier to see. Apologies for the shakiness.
gif.gif (829.44 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
Overview of Specimen Jar III with lid on, and lid off. The lid on makes a blueish hue that acts as a night light, whereas lid off is just the normal lighting effect.
Overview of Specimen Jar III with lid on, and lid off. The lid on makes a blueish hue that acts as a night light, whereas lid off is just the normal lighting effect.
new.jpg (3.81 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Another picture of the snails grouped together. If you can spot the fat one at the top, that there is the progenitor of some of these smaller/younger generations. Glad to know it's still living, and even bigger than when I relocated it. Proof that the colony is healthy. :)
Another picture of the snails grouped together. If you can spot the fat one at the top, that there is the progenitor of some of these smaller/younger generations. Glad to know it's still living, and even bigger than when I relocated it. Proof that the colony is healthy. :)
20181009_195255.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Okay, okay, last picture of the snails, however this one features more juvenile MTS's.
Okay, okay, last picture of the snails, however this one features more juvenile MTS's.
20181009_205522.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
Alright, I lied. Here's a clearer picture of the progenitor. Not sure if it's trying to eat that piece of plant debris or if it was trying to cling onto it.
Alright, I lied. Here's a clearer picture of the progenitor. Not sure if it's trying to eat that piece of plant debris or if it was trying to cling onto it.
20181010_080933.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
https://j.gifs.com/Yv1pkK.gif
A baby snail minding its business. Cute!
A baby snail minding its business. Cute!
gif (2).gif (602.97 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
Finally to end off this mega-update on a good note, I will post an overview of Specimen Jar II from August to now. The GIFs are pretty choppy, please forgive me but it's pretty tough trying to rotate a jar with one hand, and take picture with the other.

https://j.gifs.com/jqzRRW.gif
08/09/2018
08/09/2018
gif (5).gif (2 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
https://j.gifs.com/l5BYYl.gif
10/10/2018
10/10/2018
gif (6).gif (1.77 MiB) Viewed 4564 times
If anybody is curious, this update took 6 hours to create. It usually is a 2-4 hour process depending on the amount of pictures, but this is what I do to please you guys haha. So if it seems like I'm lazy or uncoordinated, this is why. It takes a lot of my day, and usually I don't have that much time, but I try to make some when I can. I usually don't word check my updates either, so if my choppy grammar irritates anybody, I am sorry. I just want to get this stuff processed and out!

Hope you all enjoy this as much as I did documenting it!
By nuck
Update!

As of now, the beetle count is 5.

I have had the fortunate experience of being witness to the courtship between these peculiar beetles. I managed to take a picture, but it's a bit blurry because they weren't too fond of my curiosity, and kept trying to get out of views reach.

Other than that I captured some strange things as well as found some gooey substances plastered to a green cord around the water surface in my pool pond. They seem to be some sort of eggs; I managed to procure some samples and will observe what they hatch into.

Will post pictures later tonight or this week. Other than that, I will try not to further derail the thread. Gibba needs its spotlight too. :)
By Mawy_Plants
nuck wrote: Sounds interesting. I'm planning on trying to get some daphnia as well, they look so interesting, and I'd love to see them plump up my Utric.
How'd you get the Stellaris? I've been trying to get another chance at trying out another Utric, but no luck.
I'm not entirely positive it's daphina, though it is likely based on their jerky movements. Lol. They're quite small, perhaps comparing them to the size of a Drosera dew drop, often even smaller...

I purchased a clump of U. stellaris while attending the BACPS Show & Sale this year. I have a couple strands that I experimented on so I'm likely down cultures from when I first got them. One died down and is now coming back which is really interesting to watch.

You got a bunch of insects in such a short amount of time, hope they adjust to the jar conditions!
Mawy_Plants liked this
By nuck
Hey guys, I know I promised an update a while ago, but I ended up getting a new job that has been eating all my free time.

Many pics taken, along with GIFs (I figured out how to do it on my phone, so no more gif sites hopefully) however I have some very unfortunate news.

All 5 of my beetles died on the same day. I speculate the heat from outside combined with the heat from my gaming machines/PC being on boiled them alive. When I touched the water, it was hotter even then when it was summer out here (+100 degree weather), so that's my speculation.

Good news: I was not lying when I said I caught them mating, they had offspring which now inhabit my jarrarium (although I have only seen two(?) thus far). I have picture proof of them mating, however it's quite blurry.

More bad news: The babies are most likely destined to die. I can't feed them with fish food like I did the beetles (however I will attempt to try shrimp pellets, since they sink, and the beetles LOVED them), and I have no way of safely ensuring their proper metamorphosis when they come of age (they leave the water to burrow underground).

Sooooo hopefully when I get more free time, I can post another mega-update on everything that has happened these past weeks.

EDIT: Yes, the babies will actually feed on the shrimp pellets, and I now have a GIF of it! :)
nuck, nuck liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!