FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By FNGUS
hello and thank for having me here,

New to CP even though i live in borneo. Saw a tropical pitcher plant being sold at the local gardening shop while i was shopping for cacti and airplant and i said to myself - "what the heck. let just buy one, i mean they can't be hard to grow that cactus right" and boy i was wrong. Harder to take care than cacti and what the heck is a sphagnum moss and a few online purchases later manage to procure RO filter system and 200gram of dried sphanum (i also accidentally bought pre fertilized moss for orchid)

so one plant becomes two few weeks later and while on a business trip i acquired a pot of sarracenia, a drossera and a VFT

my goal would be to try to grow most of the lowland species and maybe a few of the highland one
FNGUS liked this
By javaliz59
FNGUS wrote:hello and thank for having me here,

New to CP even though i live in borneo. Saw a tropical pitcher plant being sold at the local gardening shop while i was shopping for cacti and airplant and i said to myself - "what the heck. let just buy one, i mean they can't be hard to grow that cactus right" and boy i was wrong. Harder to take care than cacti and what the heck is a sphagnum moss and a few online purchases later manage to procure RO filter system and 200gram of dried sphanum (i also accidentally bought pre fertilized moss for orchid)

so one plant becomes two few weeks later and while on a business trip i acquired a pot of sarracenia, a drossera and a VFT

my goal would be to try to grow most of the lowland species and maybe a few of the highland one
I love it! One trip to the store, make an impulse purchase of a CP which leads to more purchases and.... you're hooked. That's exactly what happened to me except it was a VFT (which is still thriving). I am still a newbie as this is my first year with these awesome beauties. I love them all but Nepenthes are my favorite. I have mostly highland and a few lowland. So your lucky to he living in that part of the world. I envy you. One day I hope to see them in the wild. Good luck in your endeavors, have fun and welcome to the group!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
javaliz59 liked this
By OBD
Welcome FNGUS,

I'm new here too and got started with a VFT purchase while at the local building supply store. In just a few weeks I've managed to collect a few more plants and my wish list is growing.

Happy growing!
OBD liked this
By thenewwwguy
dude you live in borneo? my #1 suggestion is that you get a nepenthes: those are the local cps and they’re amazing. Sarrs and Vfts are hard in the true tropics since you can’t really offer dormancy, but neps don’t need that dormancy period
By javaliz59
thenewwwguy wrote:dude you live in borneo? my #1 suggestion is that you get a nepenthes: those are the local cps and they’re amazing. Sarrs and Vfts are hard in the true tropics since you can’t really offer dormancy, but neps don’t need that dormancy period
I second that!! Nepenthes are amazing! I love my VFTs, my Serracenias, my Sundews,.... but my Nepenthes are my fav. Yeah, I'm completely obsessed. And the fact that they don't require dormancy is a win win.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By riveraXVX
welcome to the addiction! my kid dragged me here, and now I'm stuck!
By FNGUS
jeff wrote:Bonjour

you live in Borneo island but in Malaisia or Indonesia ?
the malaysia side
By FNGUS
yeah the only downside of growing them outside is insects either being eaten by them or the leafs are eaten by insects

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!