FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Today in the late afternoon I decided to repot my little pot of walmart typicals. I know it's not exactly ideal to repot in the late Summer but long story short they were crowded, sickly, and underwent multiple occasions of drying out so I decided to just go with my instincts and give them a more stable environment instead of waiting until next spring.

So after some difficult work, I was able to separate four plants, including one big rhizome with a bunch of tiny offshoots coming from it. I then began the process of trying to get the plants centered in the pots of sphagnum moss. Which was incredibly tiring and painful. I then realized that there are people do stuff like this for a living. And my respect for Matt and Leah grew immensely. I ended up using all of my Sphagnum Moss, and was left with three pots of Plants. It's amazing how tough they are, They were all squished and dried out in there and they're rhizomes were perfectly fine. And because of the cooling temperatures of late summer, I'm sure they will put out some nice traps before settling for the winter.
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG (958.78 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG (809.84 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1711 times
By Lukebart02
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:Today in the late afternoon I decided to repot my little pot of walmart typicals. I know it's not exactly ideal to repot in the late Summer but long story short they were crowded, sickly, and underwent multiple occasions of drying out so I decided to just go with my instincts and give them a more stable environment instead of waiting until next spring.

So after some difficult work, I was able to separate four plants, including one big rhizome with a bunch of tiny offshoots coming from it. I then began the process of trying to get the plants centered in the pots of sphagnum moss. Which was incredibly tiring and painful. I then realized that there are people do stuff like this for a living. And my respect for Matt and Leah grew immensely. I ended up using all of my Sphagnum Moss, and was left with three pots of Plants. It's amazing how tough they are, They were all squished and dried out in there and they're rhizomes were perfectly fine. And because of the cooling temperatures of late summer, I'm sure they will put out some nice traps before settling for the winter.
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
They will hopefully do well for you! My Walmart topicals that i repotted once i got them this August showed almost no sign that any repotting happened! This is my first year keeping these alive for more than a month :lol: I finally decided to put them outside instead of in and they’ve done great!
By PeachHawk
I might end up doing this with a few pots too, I know it isn't ideal and I am a little worried about shocking them, but they are pretty crowded...
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
PeachHawk wrote:I might end up doing this with a few pots too, I know it isn't ideal and I am a little worried about shocking them, but they are pretty crowded...
If they're perfectly healthy I wouldn't bother until next spring. I repotted them because their pot was tiny and they were drying out way too much.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!