FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By SMOGGY
Hi there guys - I'm new to this forum and have a question that I hope somebody may be able to help me with.

I have acquired a few different varieties of Carnivorous plants in the last year (Venus fly traps, Pitcher plants, butterworts and dutch man's pipe) which I have made into an indoor bog garden. They have been sitting in my lean too conservatory since - looking incredibly healthy and loving the warmth of Summer. They have been sitting in a 1/2" of rainwater in a big tray.

My question is: What do I do with them through Autumn and Winter?

• Do I stop topping up the water?
• Do I move them into Darkness
• Or do I leave them to do their thing?

We live in the countryside in the North of England so temperatures will drop below zero - even indoors.

Many thanks in advance for any replies

SMOGGY
By Huntsmanshorn
How long do the temps inside stay below freezing (number of hours a day or days in the week, on average) and how far below freezing does it get?
By SMOGGY
I wouldn't say for days on end and below zero would usually be through the night. We have no heating in the conservatory so temperatures will be similar to the outside.
By Huntsmanshorn
• Do I stop topping up the water?
Yes, let the pot become just barely damp on the surface and try to keep it that way. Be careful not to let the pot dry out completely as that would be bad, even dormant your plants need access to some water. On the other hand, kept to wet invites mold and rot. Bad and worse.
• Do I move them into Darkness
Nope, they should be fine right where they are. What light the plants get will help them keep track of what time of year it is and when to wake up.
• Or do I leave them to do their thing?
See above.

One other thing, be sure to remove all dead plant matter from the Pitcher plants and VFTs. This will help keep mold from getting a foothold.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!