FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
20180927_192110-1.jpg
20180927_192110-1.jpg (781.5 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
20180927_191749-1.jpg
20180927_191749-1.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2592 times
I was looking at my Drosera seedlings and found this. I actually found two of them, both about the same size.
I have five little shooters with seedlings, all with LFS, but I could only see these worms in one, the one I plucked both worms out of. Both are about 1 mm long, 1.5 mm stretched out, and both seemed to be munching on the moss, not the seedlings.
Anyone know what they may be? Should I be concerned? Should I transplant all the delicate seedlings to new media?
Any info/ideas/advice/suggestions will be appreciated. 
Thanks, 
By Shadowtski
They look like fungus gnat larvae.
The critters eat mostly dead and decaying organic matter, although occasionally they will attack the roots of young seedlings.
I don't worry about them unless I see all my seedlings in a state of collapse.

Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By ChefDean
Thanks Mike.
I'll keep a good eye on the seedlings and move them if I have to, plus I'll watch the other shooters for invaders as well.
I appreciate all your help,
Chef
By KategoricalKarnivore
I agree. Fungus gnat larva and they will eat seedlings roots pretty fast from what I’ve seen. You can use mosquito dunks/bits in the water and it will kill them all off. It’s a bacteria and will not harm the plants.

https://www.amazon.com/Summit-116-12-Qu ... fkmrnull_1
By Fieldofscreams
Yup fungus knat larva. They are pretty much harmless.

The only time I get rid of them is when they become so numerous that they become annoying.

What I do is I have a milk jug filled with water and few pieces of mosquito dunks in it. I just water with that a few times and that takes care of it for about a month or two.
By ChefDean
Thank all for the advice.
I'm keeping an eye on them, and it seems that only one shooter is infested (from numerous, high magnification views). It does look like I have fewer seedlings, whether from them just not taking or being munched on, I don't know. Can I transplant the seedlings with minimal risk of transferring the larva? Or should I just take my medicine, eat my losses, and toss that shooter?
I will be getting some mosquito bits in the future, but it's just not in the budget right now.
Chef
By ChefDean
I've been researching, and hydrogen peroxide is reported to kill the larva on contact. I've also read some posts where HP has been used on the seeds prior to sowing.
Does anyone know if I can use a dilute solution of HP and water now to try to control the larva without hurting the seedlings? Has this ever been done after germination? Anyone with any experience with dosing media and seedlings with a hydrogen peroxide solution for fungus gnat larva, or solid knowledge of, your 2 cents are welcome.
Chef

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!