FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
If traps close due to being triggered by something, they will probably reopen in a few days. But each trap can only close and open a few times. If they don't open again, don't worry. Just wait for the next leaf and trap to come along.

I never feed my traps anything larger than 1/3 the size of the trap.

When you change anything in their environment, they can sulk for a week or two, getting used to the changed conditions.

I had some FlyTraps in a aquarium although mine were in pots and not planted in. I had two 100W equivalent bulbs and a reflector that covered the tank. Each bulb was Daylight colored and put out 1500 - 1600 Lumens. The lamps were within 6 inches of the plants.

This is a lot of light but it's what you need to grow FlyTraps indoors.

Since then, I changed my setup. Now I grow my FlyTraps outdoors Spring through First Frost. After that, they come inside for Winter dormancy so they don't freeze solid. I let them catch their own prey and don't feed them inside. Since then, they have become larger and healthier.

But I know some people don't have access to outdoor growing space, or just prefer to keep their plants indoors. It can be done but it is more work to keep them healthy, long-term.

Just my two cents worth.
I'm not a FlyTrap expert.
I'm a Drosera kind of guy.

Good growing,
Mike
By Fieldofscreams
Im guessing that you are young. Ill give you some life advice regardless. Before starting any project you need to do a full blown research mission before starting it. If you don't you will always end up spending money, time and resources that you ultimately have to toss out. Complete loss in the end.

Fact of the matter is your setup wont work, your plants will die and ultimately you will have to toss the whole thing and start over.

If it were me I would find white cups about 5"+ tall and repot them into the cups. Then I would put them outside in partial sun. This late in the year though the top growth will probably die off from all the stress they were put in and then dormancy will set in and then they will stay looking like crap until spring. Which is fine because once spring comes they will start to bounce back and then take off.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By riveraXVX
we are about 18 months of growing flytraps successfully in our household, I'm confident we could make a terrarium work for them but even then with 18 months under our collective belts, I would not be confident about doing it but could do decently.

if you are convinced on using this setup - then by all means do it! worst case they die and you can try a more sure way next time, you are jumping straight into a more complicated/advanced setup for them this way, but its not impossible.

best of luck!
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!