FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By iamjacksplants
THIS DOESN'T SEEM TO BE WORKING :lol: SO....Everything below is is my ideal give away. I was hoping to find someone with zero Nepenthes but who has really done their homework and help them get started. Failing that, if you already have a few that's cool. When I say list what you already grow, example would be - VFTs, Sarrs and Pings. I would still like to see the info in your own words. Definitely do not want to see a care sheet just copied and pasted from somewhere. So...c'mon guys! Let's get some info sharing going and get someone a free plant! I'm even paying shipping!

Hey everyone, how's it goin?

When I first started growing a member here - Alvin415 - gave me a few plants to get me going on some things that I had never grown before. His generosity and patience/willingness to share information and experience really catapulted my journey into carnivores beyond VFTs. At one point I told him that I don't know how I could ever repay him and his response was - If you are ever successful enough with any of these to propagate them, and you want to, just find someone on the forum that has never grown one before and give them a plant.

So here we are, almost exactly 3 years later and one of his plants has a basal which I have been able to remove and root. So it is my turn to give back to the community that has given so much to me. This particular hybrid is a pretty easy grower and a great starting point for Nepenthes in my opinion. This clone is pretty vigorous as you will see in the pictures that follow.

Ok, here's the deal - it's going to be quite different from the traditional give away format -

1. I would like all entrants to be new to Nepenthes. I'm not going to go checking grow lists, let's just go by the honor system.However, if I do discover an entrant is already growing Nepenthes said entrant will be disqualified.

2. Entrants should list the plants they grow - not your entire grow list, just the Genus you currently have.

3. Entrants shall submit their findings in the research they have done on Nepenthes cultivation and specifically
x Lady Luck an it's requirements. Special consideration given to submissions in "care sheet" format.

4. Anything obviously copied and pasted from the internet or from another entrants' submission will result in disqualification. I'm looking for what you have learned in your own words about growing Nepenthes and how you intend to care for this particular plant if you win.

5. Deadline for submission is Sunday evening 9/16/18 - by midnight. A winner will be selected and announced Monday. The plant will be shipped on Tuesday, potted in fresh mix and a larger pot so you won't have to worry about repotting any time soon.

Lastly, if any of you more seasoned growers would like to get in on this and help me select a winner, please feel free to PM me with your selection and reason.

Finally, here's the mamma - Please forgive the mess, I was a way for over a year and am just now getting around to cleaning things up.
N. x Lady Luck 9/12/18
N. x Lady Luck 9/12/18
ladyluckmomma09121801e.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 3208 times
Newest pitcher on mother. They get black stripes on the peristome when the plant is mature and the light is bright. You can see hints of them beginning to show here.
Newest pitcher on mother. They get black stripes on the peristome when the plant is mature and the light is bright. You can see hints of them beginning to show here.
ladyluckmomma09121802e.jpg (959.81 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
And here's the basal -
Basal 9/12/18
Basal 9/12/18
ladyluckbasal09121801e.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 3208 times
Basal - new pitcher forming - 9/12/18
Basal - new pitcher forming - 9/12/18
ladyluckbasal09121803e.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3208 times
Basal - nice healthy growth point - 9/12/18
Basal - nice healthy growth point - 9/12/18
ladyluckbasal09121806e.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 3208 times
Thank you for looking and thank you to all members new and old for helping to spread the joy of growing these wonderful plants.

Happy growing!
-@.
Last edited by iamjacksplants on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
By iamjacksplants
Thanks Shadowtski! Feel free to help me pick a winner...that is if anyone enters.... I maybe made it a little too much like homework. Hahah!

Happy growing!
-@.
By Nightbreed
I love the Napenthes I got from hollyhock and the one I recently purchased. I only have the two but they are among my favorite plants. I think this is a great way to get someone new into them. Really interesting giveaway hope it works out. Maybe one day in the future I can do the same. And your plants are amazing looking.
Nightbreed liked this
By iamjacksplants
Thank you! Yeah, Nepenthes are pretty awesome. I hope I didn't make it too challenging/intimidating to get involved. If I don't get some takers soon maybe I'll have to change it to a quiz or something.

Hollyhocks' plants are top notch. You picked a fine source for your first plants. As good if not better than any nursery.

Happy growing!
-@.
By Jean4
Wish I could do this but I have a nep. saved from Home Depot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By iamjacksplants
Go ahead and enter Jean4, nightbreed too. I'm going to change the "rules" later today when I get some time. I'm thinking a few Nepenthes is ok.

Happy growing!
-@.
By Jeeper
Maybe to less than 3?

I wish this happened before I got my Lady Luck a few weeks back. It is a nice plant to learn with and the pitchers look nothing like the pitchers of other easy-to-grow neps, which is why I bought it. Kudos to a unique give-away!
Jeeper liked this
By Nightbreed
Thanks for opening this up it really is a great plant and the more research I did the more I really love it. I really don't mind the homework for the chance at such a great plant. So I guess here is my essay. Sorry if there are any errors it was done on my phone. :)

First the plants I grow are 4 (hopefully more when my seeds sprout) saracenias, 3 vft, and 2 napenthes. Still relatively new to cp and have learned so much thanks to this site and all of it's wonderful members.

N. x lady luck aka Bloody Mary is a nepenthes cross between n. ampullaria and n. ventricosa. It was one of the more hardy and vigorous crosses created by Borneo Exotics. It pitchers easily and due to its lowland and middleish parentage it is able to handle a wide range of temperatures, humidities, and lighting conditions making it a wonderful candidate for beginners. Due to this it is a fairly commonly available plant. But that is not to say it is not a beautiful plant. It has gorgeous red pitchers and can grow to be quite large.

Like many other carnivorous plants it needs to constantly be moist with low total dissolved solids water such as distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water. No tap water as the high mineral content can kill the plant. Due to it's ampullaria parentage it can handle higher moisture levels but still must be careful of root rot. Recommended soil mix is 1:1 ratio of long fiber sphagnum moss and perlite. Pure lfs can be used as well. It can handle a variety of lighting conditions generally the more the better but be careful of sun burn and excessive heat.

Feeding is more of a mixed subject that everyone has their own secret. It has nectar glands in the pitchers to lure prey. The more nutrients it absorbs the stronger the plant can become. Indoors, prey is sparse but not nonexistent. It will not die without feeding only grow much slower. To supplement the plant some recommend a light foliar spray of maxsea (¼ teaspoon per gallon). Others recommend an osmocote tablet directly into the pitchers. Always be careful not to over feed, it may cause mineral burn and possibly kill the plant.

Overall it is a rocksteady plant that makes an excellent addition to anyone's collection. With great care it will give you years of joy.
Nightbreed liked this
By iamjacksplants
BUMP***RULES CHANGED***
By riveraXVX
I don't know if we are valid or not now, but grow all of our plants in the household with our kid who is 7 / reason i got hooked to begin with. we mostly have different cultivars of venus flytraps - but with a spattering of Drosera, Pings, Sarracenia, one aquatic bladderwort, and a couple Cephalotus.

we have a paid of Lowes Nepenthes Ventrata that we picked up as our first Nep's summer of last year, which have nearly tripled in size since then growing year round in a S/SE facing window in our kitchen. we recently picked up a nice lil hybrid of Rokko x Josefita from AK Carnivores. went through the history of the plant with the kid about where the crosses and crosses that made this cross originated (I knew she'd like the japanese portion of it!) which has joined the small stable of 3 neps.

we have ours growing on LFSM with a top layer of live green/red sphagnum. it does not grow well as a top layer due to needing to upgrade pots again to help retain moisture, but the plants themselves are happy. they get misted daily with distilled water, next spring I think we going to relocate the ventratas outdoors to enjoy some real sun.

her favorite plant in the collection was a bb Cobra Lilly but unfortunately the heat ended up being too much for the lil one, her other picks are D.M. 'Brutal Shark' which was purchased from Alex on the forums last fall, and P. Florian from Hollyhock in her excellent xmas giveaway!

my personal favorites of the bunch are D.M. B-52 (our first flytraps we purchased), and D. Tracii

we have learned how to care for a variety of different plants, experimented with potting mixes, done a lot of science experiment type stuff ranging from testing different water sources with TDS meter, growing from seed (floating in water, on different types of medium, on a damp paper towel) as well as cloning plants by every which way we possibly can so far minus TC (in our future). we are slowly working towards her having a simple plant booth at a local market friends do here for her to sell (adults) and giveaway (to kids who show interest) nice easy to care for plants
riveraXVX liked this
By iamjacksplants
We have a winner! Nightbreed, please PM me with your shipping address asap so I can get your new plant packed up and shipped out tomorrow.

RiveraXVX, please PM me as well. I have a nice runner up prize for your little one.

Thank you everyone who participated and commented etc!

Happy growing!
-@.
By Nightbreed
Thank you so much. I thought it was a very interesting giveaway. It really makes sure you are giving it to someone that will love the plant as much as you do. Gives me some ideas for when I have some extras to give away. Thanks again.
Nightbreed liked this

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!