FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ZackNJ
I bought a FL. lighting system(Mainly for my Ceph's, Butterworts, and Drosera's during the wintertime). It is a T5 and 54w. How many inches above the plants should the light be? I am putting mirrors in an aquarium(which is were the plants will be) so the light reflects them all over. Thanks for info in advance. ;)
By dionaea muscipula
cephs need dormancy or else.. and no one wants a dead ceph just let it go dormant in a windowsill as long as your ceph gets cool nights (75-40) it will do just fine ;)

good luck with your new ceph that i wish a had :cry:

Omar,
By Matt
ZackNJ wrote:How many inches above the plants should the light be?
As close as possible without getting them too hot. I'd guess 4 to 6 inches is pretty good.
dionaea muscipula wrote:cephs need dormancy or else..
I don't think so Omar. I've not grown one myself, but the guy (John) that gave me two of them has been growing them under fluorescent lights 6 years. I think there are quite a few people that grow them under fluorescent lights year round. They won't flower, but they seem to grow fine without a dormancy.

I'm not sure if John shortened his photo period to 12 hours in the winter, but many growers do this to slow the plants down a bit and give them a rest period. I don't think it's mandatory though.
By ZackNJ
I was told that Ceph's don't go dormant. They just slow down in the wintertime. Thats why i put them underneath fl. lights.
(Michael) the owner of the CP nursery i visited said that Ceph's do not need a dormancy.
By dionaea muscipula
well i havent grown a ceph myself so i don really know but thats what i have read
By Matt
ZackNJ wrote:I was told that Ceph's don't go dormant. They just slow down in the wintertime. Thats why i put them underneath fl. lights.
(Michael) the owner of the CP nursery i visited said that Ceph's do not need a dormancy.
Yes, that's similar to what I've read and been told. They don't die back, they just slow down a lot and pick back up in the spring. But you don't need to put them under fluorescent lights. A sunny windowsill or a greenhouse work too.
By ZackNJ
I know that i don't have to but I want to keep my Ceph's at 70 degrees F throughout the winter(Under Fl.lights). It's a matter of space.
I live in a small apt.(springtime I will be getting a bigger place) and all my other plants are being kept by the window. I want all my VFT's, Neps, and Sar to go dormant which is why I have them near the window on a table.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!