FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By kratzaus
Hi everyone,

Now that Autumn has arrived, it has become noticeably chillier here with day temps struggling to reach the low teens C, and night temps in single digits, however the days are still quite long, and Sun still has a bit of strength (when it's not cloudy.)

I have had my fly trap outside up until now over the Summer, but I am wondering if it would be better off, and perhaps would extend its growing season if I now brought it inside where it is much warmer on a southern facing windowsill, and keep it there until mid November before I get it acclimatized to cold again before putting outside for dormancy over winter?

cheers,

Ben
damage to traps caused by a cat :(
damage to traps caused by a cat :(
IMG_20180912_214309497.jpg (3.98 MiB) Viewed 1350 times
By Shadowtski
I keep mine outside until the night when we get the first frost warning.

Keeping them outside this long almost guarantees that the plant will be dormant when you bring it in.
Once dormant, it tends to stay that that way until next Spring.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By kratzaus
I plan to keep mine outside from middle of November onwards, only taking it in on nights that are below zero.

What I was really trying to get at in my 1st post, is whether or not taking my flytrap inside now and throughout the autumn can expend its growing season when temperatures outside are already fairly on the low side.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Photo period is the main driving force that determines when they go dormant, not the temperatures. Why stress it out by bringing it inside out of its usual conditions, to probably a lot less light, therefore even more stress, making it work even harder to prepare for dormancy, only to put it back outside where it was in the first place. Sounds like a lot of trouble for nothing.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!