FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
It's looking inevitable that it will strike close. I don't live on a island any more. $(0+"96$6) yeah!

I am 20 miles inland, but I am still only 3 feet above sea level. If it hits pretty close, I will still have 90mph winds and localized flooding. I will have to hunker down for a few days.
It's not a huge big deal. I have been through a bunch. It never seems that bad unless you lose power. But this is a cat 4. The others were cat 1 and 2s.
Right now the meteorologists are saying they are expecting a 15 to 20 foot storm surge. That means anything in the path of the surge will be flooded 15 to 20 feet high. Most houses are on 20 ft posts, but other properties not lifted up will be under water.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
hollyhock wrote:Yes please stay safe flytraphunter...will keep you in my prayers..
Thank you Mike and hollyhock. Say a prayer for the fly traps. If things get bad, I am taking the fly traps and heading inland. Image. It's set to go down on the 13th, my favorite number. And it's usually a good Oman when I see or end up with 13.
I will be prudent. If it seems stupid to stay, I will leave.

FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By bananaman
Please stay safe! Evacuations can be a big mess -- it's better to leave too early or when you don't have to than to leave too late. Especially for such a big storm.

This particular storm also carries the risk of major flooding just from rain -- it's supposed to stall out right over the middle of the state. There's going to be widespread totals of 20" or more. That much rain can be a huge mess. Plus, with somewhere so flat it'll take a long time to drain away -- so water levels can be elevated for a long time.

Please, please be really careful!
bananaman liked this
By hollyhock
We care about everyone in this community. And when there's a chance at a possibility of a disaster hitting a member we all want you to be smart and stay safe. You can replace plants. I will send you my entire Flytraps collection if you lose yours. I just know some people choose to stay sometimes and if they are right in danger they regret that decision. Everything can be replaced but you.. grab your photographs that's all that you can never replace.
By evenwind
Got this on my Facebook feed. Maybe it'll help a bit...

Stay safe!
Attachments:
21462959_10156631995254676_2839170886153026094_n.jpg
21462959_10156631995254676_2839170886153026094_n.jpg (87.81 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
By FlyTrap Hunter
hollyhock wrote:We care about everyone in this community. And when there's a chance at a possibility of a disaster hitting a member we all want you to be smart and stay safe. You can replace plants. I will send you my entire Flytraps collection if you lose yours. I just know some people choose to stay sometimes and if they are right in danger they regret that decision. Everything can be replaced but you.. grab your photographs that's all that you can never replace.
You are so sweet hollyhock. The traffic was bumper to bumper and almost stopped, everywhere. 4 lane highways backed up. The problem here is there are only a few roads and a lot of traffic. And it always floods when it rains. We have 4x4s to handle it. That is no excuse.
I have a plan to go to my Mom's house if necessary. The storm isn't going to hit for a few days. (As long as it doesn't speed up)Image
Most of my neighbors are gone already. Some are still here. I mentioned flooding to one guy and he was not worried about it.
Right now the nws is calling for 6 to 9 feet of storm surge, if it comes here.
My vehicle is big enough for all the fly traps.
I wouldn't be able to carry much more. LoL
I have a little dog. I am not going to put him in danger. He is like my child. Lol
We are just still hoping and praying it turns and goes back out to sea.

FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
evenwind wrote:Got this on my Facebook feed. Maybe it'll help a bit...

Stay safe!
Lol Geico just ask me about 2 weeks ago if I wanted to get renters insurance.
I have been through a bunch of hurricanes, just not a cat 2or up. 70mph winds are pretty common along the coast.
You can expect water damage from a hurricane, some missing shingles...
But this storm is serious business.

By FlyTrap Hunter
bananaman wrote:Please stay safe! Evacuations can be a big mess -- it's better to leave too early or when you don't have to than to leave too late. Especially for such a big storm.

This particular storm also carries the risk of major flooding just from rain -- it's supposed to stall out right over the middle of the state. There's going to be widespread totals of 20" or more. That much rain can be a huge mess. Plus, with somewhere so flat it'll take a long time to drain away -- so water levels can be elevated for a long time.

The highways and roads were backed up today with so many trying to leave. There is NOT a mandatory evacuation. One thing the dot will do is open up the incoming traffic and make it all heading out of the city. Re: hwy40 East bound lanes become West bound lanes. We still have 2 days and hoping it stears back out to sea. Otherwise I have a evacuation plan. Image

By FlyTrap Hunter
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
bananaman wrote:Please stay safe! Evacuations can be a big mess -- it's better to leave too early or when you don't have to than to leave too late. Especially for such a big storm.

The highways and roads were backed up today with so many trying to leave. There is NOT a mandatory evacuation. One thing the dot will do is open up the incoming traffic and make it all heading out of the city. Re: hwy40 East bound lanes become West bound lanes. We still have 2 days and hoping it stears back out to sea. Otherwise I have a evacuation plan. Image

Catastrophic is not a word you want to hear at breakfast. Image

By FlyTrap Hunter
Nightbreed wrote:Stay safe. Hopefully there won't be too much flooding or damage.
I just got back from Walmart a little bit ago and the shelves are wiped out. They closed at midnight to stock up. I guess that makes sense... Maybe it's for security? I got plenty of food. Got some good stuff too, especially if we will be stuck inside for a few days.
I went and got 10 gallons of ro water for drinking.
And I went ahead and filled up the tank. I can drive 300 miles if necessary on that tank.
We are preparing for whatever comes.
I am proud of myself for being so proactive. I started preparing days ago. I am set to stay, go to a pet friendly shelter or drive to my mom's. I still have a solid day to make a decision.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!