FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By hackerberry
Yup, I have a Ventricosa and did the same thing with the foliar fertilizer. Worked like wonder...

hb
By Veronis
I use 20-14-13 BetterGro orchid fert. Any orchid fertilizer should work - you just have to be careful of two things specifically.

-No urea
-Low or zero copper and zinc. By low I mean less than 1% at max. Zinc and copper is toxic to Neps.

High nitrogen (15 or 20+) plus micronutrients is good, even if it has 0.5% copper/zinc.

My fertilizer has 0.5% copper and zinc, and no Nep death.

If you fert a Nep with something that has higher copper or zinc, it won't kill them right away, but continued use may cause a decline.

I actually want to try Maxsea 16-16-16 all-purpose. All the Nep freaks are raving about it, and several of the top Nep growsers have switched to it. California Darnivores now uses it exclusively on all their Neps, and sells it.

From my own research and asking Nep growers, the general consensus seems to be that soil or pitcher feeding works best, and foliar feeding doesn't help all that much.
By BigEasy
Veronis wrote:I use 20-14-13 BetterGro orchid fert. Any orchid fertilizer should work - you just have to be careful of two things specifically.

-No urea
-Low or zero copper and zinc. By low I mean less than 1% at max. Zinc and copper is toxic to Neps.

High nitrogen (15 or 20+) plus micronutrients is good, even if it has 0.5% copper/zinc.

If you fert a Nep with something that has higher copper or zinc, it won't kill them right away, but continued use may cause a decline.

I actually want to try Maxsea 16-16-16 all-purpose. All the Nep freaks are raving about it, and several of the top Nep growsers have switched to it. California Darnivores now uses it exclusively on all their Neps, and sells it.

From my own research and asking Nep growers, the general consensus seems to be that soil or pitcher feeding works best, and foliar feeding doesn't help all that much.
Oh wow interesting. Thanks Veronis !
By Veronis
BigEasy wrote:Oh wow interesting. Thanks Veronis !
Np. Regarding fertilization methods, "your mileage may vary". For example hackerberry foliar feeds his and gets great results.

You just have to see what works for you and stick with it. For me, foliar feeding did very little to boost the growth rate. Soil feeding was great but omg algae, and pitcher feeding I'm just starting to try but so far it's the best method I've used. My only concern is whether it will shorten the life span of individual pitchers or not.

I'll let ya'll know when I know...
By hackerberry
Just like Veronis said, the results may vary.

Veronis, do update us with your experiment. I love experiments...

hb
By Timbotide
I just started feeding my Neph with the Maxsea 16-16-16 and will let you guys know how it works for me.
My sundew and VFT's will also get a little taste of the Maxsea every now and then.
By BigEasy
Veronis wrote:I use 20-14-13 BetterGro orchid fert. Any orchid fertilizer should work - you just have to be careful of two things specifically.

-No urea

Yeah I dont think the mircale gro singles are going to work as you can see.
Ill have to find something with no urea.

And how do you know about the low copper and zinc ?
MG does not say anything about it.

Obviously MG has nothing good in their whole arsenal of plant products for CPs.
Attachments:
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (61.22 KiB) Viewed 8158 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (30.92 KiB) Viewed 8158 times
By Veronis
Copper and zinc release compounds that are toxic to all carnivorous plants. It's not just nepenthes.

Sarracenia Northwest has the info (somewhere).

Yep - here it is: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Carnivorous- ... lant-1.htm

"As for the metal pot, if the pot is stainless steel it will be fine. If it's copper or zinc (galvanized) it will kill your plant. Those metals give off compounds toxic to carnivorous plants." - Jeff Dallas, Sarracenia Northwest

That's just for a pot. Zinc and copper in fertilizer is no good in any remotely-significant amount, as such. Like I said, though, people have used 0.5% copper/zinc fertilizer on Neps for years and none have died from it (that's been documented). It's the higher concentrations you don't want. I've seen great results from ferts that have small amounts of copper/zinc, like mine.

Miracle Gro products have no place in the CP world whatsoever. Not a single one of them. ;)
By BigEasy
Well I was looking around to see where I could find some Maxsea 16-16-16 as well
but shipping is ridiculous ! The most I want to pay is $19 or $20 buck.

http://www.californiacarnivores.com
$15.75 + $8.70 Shipping + 5.00 Handling = $29.45

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/cart/
$16.95 + $8.99 shipping = $25.94

OK HERE WE GO - dont think it will get much cheaper than this
http://www.humboldthydroponics.com/Nutrients_Maxsea.htm
$11.66 + $ 7.12 = $18.78

NOT MAXSEA !!!! but kind of close...could not find much information on it
http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/180-3 ... lizers.HTm
$11.95 + $8.95 = $20.90
Last edited by BigEasy on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BigEasy
Okay, bought it .... Sorry for copying your fertilizin' style, Veronis.

It is just that California Carnivores using it exclusively is a big endorsement. :P

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!