FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Volmen
Hi it’s been awhile since I posted last I bought some seeds from flytrapstore last year and I have a few baby’s I wasn’t sure if they are strong enough for their first winter!

Especially worried about my reds! Yes they are all the same age (8 months) just for whatever reason the reds are crazy slow growers at least at this stage in their life’s!

Should I let them go threw dormancy or wait? The greens are first then reds! The reds are barely the size of a nickel! Greens about a half dollar wide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Volmen on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volmen, Volmen liked this
By schmeg
Congratulations on raising those plants to be the size they are. Looking lovely.
By Volmen
Thank you!

By bananaman
For what it’s worth, I usually do a year under lights for my seedlings, then they go outside. Red flytraps generally grow slower than do green ones — probably because the anthocyanins mask the chlorophyll somewhat.

I’ve never had an issue with small flytraps making it through dormancy, but the winters here aren’t very harsh at all.
By Volmen
Ok that’s sigh of relief tbh, I decided to grow em outside from the start since we have similar weather here in Oregon vs north/south Carolina. Also my grow lights were packed up! Lol

Tbh I’m amazed at the deep red on these fly traps it’s like night and day compared to the greens!

By Volmen
Here’s my other baby’s I haven’t had time to replant but the baby greens decided to pop out late lol about 3 months ago... lazy traps lol

By FlyTrap Hunter
Volmen wrote:Here’s my other baby’s I haven’t had time to replant but the baby greens decided to pop out late lol about 3 months ago... lazy traps lol

Those are great and really a great size for 8 months. I believe the rhizome grows extra time during dormancy, and dormancy is very much worthwhile. Oregon would be a perfect place for dormancy, short of crazy freezing weather.
If you read Matt's fly trap care instructions, he suggests keeping your fly traps between 40F and 60F during dormancy and give them as much light as they can get. Dormancy is activated by photoperiod, so regardless, your plants will go dormant(unless you use grow lights inside). I prefer to leave mine outside and bring them in when it freezes. Many will debate this, but save yourself some heartache and don't let them freeze. I put mine outside in trays and let them go to almost freezing and brought them in if freezing. My fly traps grew all Winter long and stayed just beautiful. They don't have to die back to a rhizome bulb to be dormant.
Our Winters are generally not harsh here along the coast in NC. However, this past winter was a exception. Normally, spring starts in February and it's 60s to 70s all month, but we will still have night time drops to freezing.
As for the purple fly traps, I am sure you have Maroon Monster/red dragon seed genetics growing and they will be magnificent and a hardy plant. And it's hard to get a fly trap to be that size in 8 months. Good growing. Image

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
Volmen wrote:Here’s my other baby’s I haven’t had time to replant but the baby greens decided to pop out late lol about 3 months ago... lazy traps lol

Those are great and really a great size for 8 months. I believe the rhizome grows extra time during dormancy, and dormancy is very much worthwhile. Oregon would be a perfect place for dormancy, short of crazy freezing weather.
If you read Matt's fly trap care instructions, he suggests keeping your fly traps between 40F and 60F during dormancy and give them as much light as they can get. Dormancy is activated by photoperiod, so regardless, your plants will go dormant(unless you use grow lights inside). I prefer to leave mine outside and bring them in when it freezes. Many will debate this, but save yourself some heartache and don't let them freeze. I put mine outside in trays and let them go to almost freezing and brought them in if freezing. My fly traps grew all Winter long and stayed just beautiful. They don't have to die back to a rhizome bulb to be dormant.
Our Winters are generally not harsh here along the coast in NC. However, this past winter was a exception. Normally, spring starts in February and it's 60s to 70s all month, but we will still have night time drops to freezing.
As for the purple fly traps, I am sure you have Maroon Monster/red dragon seed genetics growing and they will be magnificent and a hardy plant. And it's hard to get a fly trap to be that size in 8 months. Good growing. Image

Oh and I think the first looks like DCXL, 2nd purple Haze, 3rd Maroon Monster, and the 4th with the lates looks like Megatraps seed grown. My fidde cent. You are growing good genetics from cultivar seeds. Those are absolutely beautiful plants.

By Volmen
Thx, this is my first time growing from seed and I think I’m being over worried! Lol I’m hoping to buy more seeds! It’s fascinating with how each plant is different!

By FlyTrap Hunter
Volmen wrote:Thx, this is my first time growing from seed and I think I’m being over worried! Lol I’m hoping to buy more seeds! It’s fascinating with how each plant is different!

What's nice is at least you are growing seed from cultivars and you will be amazed at what you get and how much better they perform. I have some seed grown I bought in a pot of baby traps from Matt and Leah. Leah said they were started in January 2017, so they are 1 year and 8 months old. I have some that are full adult size that are putting out divisions. I have one I separated in 7 divisions and named them Summer. There's a little bit of all sorts of fly traps in a pot of baby traps and I didn't have to struggle to get them going. I will post pics. Definitely choose good genetics. I have some I germinated myself from a different source, and they perform nothing like FTS seeds.
I would say with FTS seeds you are getting many years of critically selecting the best plants each year to grow the next. And selecting the best performers as well. Like imho a Maroon Monster is a aqui rhu that has been crossbred to make a hardier, bigger, faster growing red/purple fly trap. I might have read that. Anyway, I am going to post some pics of my seed grown when I can get some pictures. It's really frustrating if we kill some, but they are really worth the trouble once they get a little size.

By Volmen
Nice! Ya I’ve been drooling over a lot of the different varieties on fts for over 2 years! Lol sadly my pocketbook is tight and I decided on rolling the dice with seeds! Instead of a specific plant! Sadly out of 2 packets of seeds I only was able to get 9 to grow due to regrettable unfortunate events! T-T (cough cough... Dogs, Kids, Wife)

By Volmen
The big trap on the far left is just a typical from Walmart! Ya she’s flowing... apparently her seasons got mixed up and I figured if she wants to bloom whatever! Lol she’ll figure out winters coming and reset her internal clock!

By FlyTrap Hunter
Volmen wrote:The big trap on the far left is just a typical from Walmart! Ya she’s flowing... apparently her seasons got mixed up and I figured if she wants to bloom whatever! Lol she’ll figure out winters coming and reset her internal clock!

These are 1.75 year old seed grown from a pot of baby traps from FTS. Notice they are dividing. Image
Likewise I bought some seed from FTS and I didn't know what I was doing and probably cooked my first seeds. However, they still pop up sometimes.
The 3rd one looks like one of your's, and I named it Bambi Rose. ImageImageImage

By Volmen
Nice! Beautiful plants ya got their! Lol ya it kinda does! I’m trying to power feed em (feed them manually instead of letting them catch their own) before fall hits to hard! Hopefully they will store it up! Since the temp is dropping slowly!

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!