FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By rules
Picture is self explanatory. What is going on?

I water from underneath every other day with distilled water, they get a good 10 hours at least of full sun. What is happening here?

Are they dead? Should I chuck it?
Attachments:
20180829_120545.jpg
20180829_120545.jpg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 2136 times
By carelerasmus
Those look dead to me.... You could check the rhizome just to be sure

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By rules
the rhizome on the one on the left was so dead that it broke in two when i uprooted it. the one on the right came up and had some white to it. I trimmed off everything and just dug it back into the peat. probably won't make it but it can't hurt I guess.

what could be the problem? TOO much sun? or was it a goner ever since it came in the mail? I've only had them for like a week.
By schmeg
Those look like tiny plants. Perhaps the original grower had them under artificial lighting.

If the plants went straight from the package into 10 hours of direct sun, yes, the leaves may have been unable to take that intensity so quickly. And a little bitty plant might not have enough established heartiness (especially if its been repotted, shipped, etc.) to withstand that stress.

Experience growers here have encouraged a gradual transition to daylight for plants that have been under artificial light.
By rules
they came from carnivorous plant nursery. i got nine of them in total.

I've had them for a week. some of the others are doing really well. a few of them look like they're struggling too.
By Fieldofscreams
When repotting any plant you have to keep them out of direct sun or heat for a few days so that the roots can start taking up water again. What it looks like to me is you potted them and then threw them outside in direct sun. Since the roots weren't established yet the plants dried out.
By rules
didn't know that at all. I did indeed just threw them out there and thought the bright sun and heat we've been having would be good for it.
By Fieldofscreams
It's a learning experience.

I recommend buying your plants already potted when you first start out and only buy them from reputable nursuries. FTS is hands down the best. They come pre-potted in white pots with NZLFSM. I've never had to acclimate their plants, just throw them outside after unboxing.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Kenneth
Fieldofscreams wrote: I recommend buying your plants already potted when you first start out and only buy them from reputable nursuries.
Carnivorous plant nursery is a reputable place to buy. I bought my sphagnum moss there, red, green, and dwarf variety and they are all healthy and growing. I’m actually planning to buy 3 small nepenthes from them along with some supplies from California Carnivores.
By Fieldofscreams
I got my Judith Hindle from them, they are a great nursery for pitcher plants.

The point I was trying to make is it's best when starting out to get them from a nursery that sells them already potted in the correct sized pot, correct colored pot and the best media possible. FTS is the only one that pulls this off.

I bought my ginormous from CC, won't be doing that again. Took 6 months to get the poor thing to grow beautifully.
Fieldofscreams liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!