FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By CPGal13
Hi all. Despite being rather "new" to the world of CPs, I've been pretty successful in the propagation of my CPs (tropical pitchers, Akai Ryu flytraps, and garden variety flytraps, typical form) over the last couple of years. This has resulted in over 7+ of each variety listed above in the past year alone... they're multiplying like crazy! I'd like to introduce variety into my collection, but I've run out of room due to the current quantity. As I'm sure some CP enthusiasts can relate, my significant other would like to see me recoup the money spent on the plants/supplies I currently have before I invest in more (they just don't understand! :roll: ). Which brings me to my question: have you guys found greater success in selling off plants or trading? When you're sitting on common varieties of CPs, I would imagine it would be difficult to sell. What do you do when you have too many of the same variety of plants? Donate? Sell? Trade? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've included pictures of the plants I have (in case someone is interested, eh?). Perhaps y'all can tell me whether I should even bother attempting to trade or sell, or whether anyone would be interested in these common varieties (please be honest, but nice!),
Attachments:
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 3307 times
Cuttings - all 3 from same parent plant
IMG_0333.JPG (986.58 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
1 Akai Ryu quickly became 5. This is one of the more robust babies!
1 Akai Ryu quickly became 5. This is one of the more robust babies!
IMG_0329.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 3307 times
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3307 times
IMG_0327.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 3307 times
IMG_0326.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 3307 times
By SundewWolf
In my opinion selling would be the better option.

Since most hobbyists will have the rarer stuff along with common stuff, they likely wouldn't want to trade or buy cheaper varieties/plants they already have. That leaves you with a market of new people wanting to getting into the hobby who would gladly buy the more common plants/typical VFTs on popular sales websites.
SundewWolf liked this
By CPGal13
SundewWolf wrote:In my opinion selling would be the better option.

Since most hobbyists will have the rarer stuff along with common stuff, they likely wouldn't want to trade or buy cheaper varieties/plants they already have. That leaves you with a market of new people wanting to getting into the hobby who would gladly buy the more common plants/typical VFTs on popular sales websites.
Makes sense. Which brings me to my next question: where do CP hobbyists go to sell? Are there CP marketplace-websites? Craigslist? Etsy? I would imagine forums are frequented by the very hobbyists that you mentioned that are uninterested in common forms/looking for rarer forms, and therefore not a great place to sell.
By hollyhock
Well both in my opinion.. and sometimes donating to the ICPS Facebook auction in September is really a nice way to help everyone in the hobby. :D
And that giveaway once in a while can be rewarding too...
hollyhock liked this
By CPGal13
hollyhock wrote:Well both in my opinion.. and sometimes donating to the ICPS Facebook auction in September is really a nice way to help everyone in the hobby. :D
And that giveaway once in a while can be rewarding too...
I'm by no means greedy; I'm definitely open to donate/gift multiples of any of the CPs I have. :mrgreen:
At this time, I'd like to expand my collection of CPs first. The desire to sell/trade isn't so much profit-based, as it is wanting to acquire new varieties of CPs while justifying how much I've already spent on... well, plants! I figured if I can sell and subsequently purchase new varieties, or trade all the new growth for one new CP, my crazy hobby is justified! :shock:
By iamjacksplants
I might be interested in a couple of the VFTs. I have a couple (12) unknown nepenthes seedlings. The original grower said they are most likely x Rokko crosses but the tag was lost and they can't say for sure. I can tell you they are definitely lowland plants as I have had them in the lowland side of my set up and they have doubled to tripled in size in just a few months.

Conditions are - days low 90s, nights 65-70 and RH 85-100. Lights - 2 48 inch T12s 6500k. These temps would likely kill or at least stall out anything but a lowland plant so I think it's pretty safe to say that's what they are.

Let me know if that is something you might be interested in and I can post some pictures.

Good luck and happy growing!
-@.
By BPatton
If you were interested in selling some nepenthes or a red dragon I wouldn’t mind taking them off your hands haha! Just shoot me a message! To answer your question thoughyou can list and sell these plants just about anywhere but I’d stick to more CP relevant pages and such if you want them to succeed and most likely sell quicker.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Check out these Facebook groups, Carnivorous plant auctions & sales, Carnivorous Plant trade/sales/conversation, and a couple others.
By CPGal13
BPatton wrote:If you were interested in selling some nepenthes or a red dragon I wouldn’t mind taking them off your hands haha! Just shoot me a message! To answer your question thoughyou can list and sell these plants just about anywhere but I’d stick to more CP relevant pages and such if you want them to succeed and most likely sell quicker.
I PM’d you. :mrgreen:
By CPGal13
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Check out these Facebook groups, Carnivorous plant auctions & sales, Carnivorous Plant trade/sales/conversation, and a couple others.
Thanks!
By riveraXVX
some good advice above , one thing to keep in mind even though they might be more common varieties or just regular plants that most serious growers might have, there are always 50 other people grabbing them on a whim, or just getting started that might be jumpstarting their own addiction
riveraXVX liked this
By PeachHawk
I am kind of in the same boat with a few plants to sell/trade, but what scares me is shipping... I would hate to sell something to someone and have it arrive half dead...
By riveraXVX
I personally would look to your local community, carnivorous plants are always fascinating to folks, post them up on a marketplace or craigslist what you have, see about setting up a booth at a local weekend market for an afternoon, post online in local groups, may meet some other folks growing them in the area, or get someone else into the hobby. the thing is there is always someone starting somewhere!
riveraXVX liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

Not what you would expect...

Why, the portion cup in front of the binata in the[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!