FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By t9gear
So I got this sphagnum moss but it grows long and skinny.
Looking for more of the shorter green type
This is the moss I have that I don’t need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
The Sphagnum moss I have does the same. It started out looking a bit thicker than when it grew, so I'm guessing it might be a light issue. But be careful about heat, I've read that they don't like to be above 85 degrees regularly.
By t9gear
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:The Sphagnum moss I have does the same. It started out looking a bit thicker than when it grew, so I'm guessing it might be a light issue. But be careful about heat, I've read that they don't like to be above 85 degrees regularly.
So more or less light ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Nightbreed
Yeah sphagnum moss gets long and skinny like that when there is not enough light. Grows short and thick with high light. Some species will require less light than others but it would probably be a good idea to give them more light than trying to experiment with different species to see what works with what you got. What grows great for one person grows terrible for another. Just be careful because they can scorch with too much light and heat.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Nightbreed wrote:Yeah sphagnum moss gets long and skinny like that when there is not enough light. Grows short and thick with high light. Some species will require less light than others but it would probably be a good idea to give them more light than trying to experiment with different species to see what works with what you got. What grows great for one person grows terrible for another. Just be careful because they can scorch with too much light and heat.
Moss likes shade or LED lights.
The first picture is inside in a window with LEDs and 5 hours of late afternoon sun. It's a super short shiny green moss that has a pretty look to it. I have had Sundews grow in it and had a Sarracenia highjacker pop up in it.

The 2nd picture is live moss inside under LEDs. This moss grows long thick strings of moss.
It goes dormant in the heat and dry weather. Even though the heat knocks the live moss back, it's still pretty in a pot of Fly Traps. And they love it. It hardly decomposesImageImage

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!