FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By twitcher
Seems like the pings have more limited availability and higher pricing among the various cp vendors than I would expect compared to other types of cp's. Any thoughts on why this should be so? I'd like to expand my pings but pricing is a concern and I have no insight into the marketing. Thanks
By evenwind
While I'd agree that there are fewer vendors specializing in Pings, I'm not seeing the higher pricing your talking about. For instance, FTS has a huge number of named VFT clones listed in the $14-$20 range - which is the same range I see for Ping species & hybrids on the major US ping vendor. If your talking about the very low end, then yes, you can get a Death Cube VFT for under $10 (and possibly find a Death Cube Ping or Sarr for the same price). But you can probably find a Ebay Ping of unknown quality in that same range - if price is your major concern.
evenwind liked this
By hollyhock
I agree they are somewhat scarce to find. And I also agree that they are not overpriced in this market. If you get a chance to join a BCP group order you will find a much bigger selection from overseas vendors.
By Shadowtski
Have you seen the selection at Cascade Carnivores?
https://www.cascadecarnivores.com/
They have 52 types of Pinguicula.
Most are priced from $15.00 to $20.00.
I don't think their prices are excessive.
But as a member here, I always suggest checking out Matt's store first at https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/

Good growing,
Mike
By evenwind
Shadowtski wrote:Have you seen the selection at Cascade Carnivores?
https://www.cascadecarnivores.com/
They have 52 types of Pinguicula.
Most are priced from $15.00 to $20.00.
I don't think their prices are excessive.
But as a member here, I always suggest checking out Matt's store first at https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/

Mike
Agreed. That was the ping vendor I alluded to. I would also add Carnivore Culture as a great place for pings - smaller selection than CC but also great quality and prices: http://carnivoreculture.com/butterworts/
By twitcher
Apologies for not being very clear. I am officially a senior citizen for some years now with limited income, so it is hard to justify $20 or more for a plant. I'd like to get a look at them while the eyes are still working well enough to enjoy them.

However, what I was looking at is if there is something about pings as a group that causes prices to be higher than I would think. Perhaps they are harder to grow or there is less interest in them, for example, making for more limited availability. But the ones I have seem very easy so far.

thanks to all who responded.
By Shadowtski
After you hang around here a while and get to know people, you'll find yourself doing a lot of trading with other growers. You'll be getting new species for the cost of postage.

Depending on where you live, you might find another CP grower in your town.

I'm about 9 months away from retirement and senior-citizenhood myself.

Nepenthes and some Sarracenia command the highest prices. Heliamphora and Cephalotus are pricy. Drosera and Pings are usually pretty reasonable in price. Pings are usually more common from private growers than online CP growers. Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
By twitcher
Thanks Mike, don't be too eager to finally settle down.

I just gave a no-id drosera to a 20-something I ran into at walmart as well as some seeds. He let me know he was interested in growing plants and cp's a bit back, so I'm actively recruiting to the field. One of the reasons I joined here was to link up with others sharing this interest. Even though I'm not much of a joiner I am a committed learner.
By Kenneth
twitcher wrote:Seems like the pings have more limited availability and higher pricing among the various cp vendors than I would expect compared to other types of cp's. Any thoughts on why this should be so? I'd like to expand my pings but pricing is a concern and I have no insight into the marketing. Thanks
Check out curious plant, California Carnivores, and Sarracenia Northwest. They have a good selection on pings for a good price. If anything, Cephalotus is more expensive, for its “base”(default price around $26+ for a regular) it is very expensive.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!