FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By FoXTro
Well, there's some stuff I can do for my flytraps for dormancy. If I put them in a plastic bag, then put them in a fridge will that work? Or put them in a garage where it's cold and etc. What should I do? Both? Is there any other things? Thanks.
By Huntsmanshorn
You are in what, hardiness zone 5bish? The fridge method works fine. Just leave the plants outside until the night temps. fall into the low 30s then put them down for their long winter's nap. You can also use the basement if it gets down into the low 60s and below then you should be fine. The garage, if unheated, is the last resort for VFTs in your climate though unless it never freezes out there, then that would be good.
By FoXTro
Huntsmanshorn wrote:You are in what, hardiness zone 5bish? The fridge method works fine. Just leave the plants outside until the night temps. fall into the low 30s then put them down for their long winter's nap. You can also use the basement if it gets down into the low 60s and below then you should be fine. The garage, if unheated, is the last resort for VFTs in your climate though unless it never freezes out there, then that would be good.
I will use the fridge, their doing great right now, and It's almost time for them to go dormant! So thanks for the advise!
By Fieldofscreams
Its not almost time for them to go dormant in 5a/b. Its going to be another 4-6 weeks before they slow in growth and start killing off their summer growth and then another 2-3 weeks after that before they completely stop growing and go completely dormant.

I keep mine in my unheated insulated garage for winter under a mars hydro 300. Zone 5a/b.
By FoXTro
Fieldofscreams wrote:Its not almost time for them to go dormant in 5a/b. Its going to be another 4-6 weeks before they slow in growth and start killing off their summer growth and then another 2-3 weeks after that before they completely stop growing and go completely dormant.

I keep mine in my unheated insulated garage for winter under a mars hydro 300. Zone 5a/b.
Oh ok. I think my garage always been heated. So if I put them in a platic bag, then put them in a fridge will that be okay?
By Fieldofscreams
Im not a fan of fridge dormancy. People in Tropical climates have good reason to try, its the only option they have.

But for people in the northern hemisphere there are better options. Do you have a south, east or west facing window?
By FoXTro
Fieldofscreams wrote:Im not a fan of fridge dormancy. People in Tropical climates have good reason to try, its the only option they have.

But for people in the northern hemisphere there are better options. Do you have a south, east or west facing window?
I have a Southwest window.
By Fieldofscreams
If it were me I would put them on that southwest facing window sill. Put them right up to the glass.

Does that window get sunlight?
By FoXTro
Fieldofscreams wrote:If it were me I would put them on that southwest facing window sill. Put them right up to the glass.

Does that window get sunlight?
Oh, they been in that spot for 3 weeks, they get the most sun at 1pm to 7pm.
By FoXTro
Fieldofscreams wrote:That is a perfect spot for dormancy then.

Terrible place for the growing season though.
Yeah it is terible, but you mean, I can just leave them there by the window for dormancy? I was thinking next year after dormancy, I can put them outside, for a freash start. I know their doing well in the window, but do better outside.
By Fieldofscreams
What you do is you leave them outside until the first frost.

Once that happens you move them inside on that window sill.

When spring comes, after the last frost, you put them back outside.
By FoXTro
Fieldofscreams wrote:What you do is you leave them outside until the first frost.

Oh okay, I will do that. Thanks for the help, I really needed that.
By FoXTro
Fieldofscreams wrote:What you do is you leave them outside until the first frost.

Oh darn, I forgot...I'm moving in 2 days, and the flytraps like this place and their moving to another house. I think they will acclimate it slowly, but I'm about to move a lot this year. Will they be just fine, or I'm just worrying a lot.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!