FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By sab
The reason I totally wanna omit out sphagnum or peat moss is because they're pretty susceptible for unwanted growths like fungus, algae, etc
Also perlite and silica sand is pretty much available where I stay. I was wondering if its possible to grow a healthy vft in purely sand
By sab
Fieldofscreams wrote:I wouldn't do that because sand does not retain water for long.
perhaps will have to constantly keep it in a tray of water, right ?
I have seen images of vft growing in pure sand . whats that ?
By Fieldofscreams
Ive seen those pictures too but I don't thing they are in pure sand, I think they use a top layering of sand, I don't think its all sand.

I don't really see any advantage in doing it either way.

You wont get a better substrate than NZLFSM, its the way to go.
By Huntsmanshorn
A few years back I read a paper on growing VFTs in various media including sand, peat, sand/peat mix, and regular garden dirt (I think). If I remember correctly, according to the paper, the VFTs grown in pure sand grew the largest root systems and were healthy but seemed to sacrifice some above ground growth compared with the other plants grown in most of the other media.
By Big-Jack
Next season I'm going to throw some styrofoam and synthetic sponge in the blender for a few seconds and see if I can grow VFT's in the mixture. Probably give it a top dressing of sand. I have so many plants that the loss of a few to experimentation won't hurt.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Big-Jack wrote:Next season I'm going to throw some styrofoam and synthetic sponge in the blender for a few seconds and see if I can grow VFT's in the mixture. Probably give it a top dressing of sand. I have so many plants that the loss of a few to experimentation won't hurt.
Record your results on these forums. Your findings will further the knowledge of Venus Flytraps. And it will probably be pretty interesting too.
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!