FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By SmartCheeseBurger
Hello there. I've been trying to grow VFTs for 2 years but they have all died. This new VFT I got is my 3rd one, third lucks a charm right? I just got it yesterday but it doesn't have any new traps growing from the main plant, it also has a flower.I repotted it yesterday. Can anyone explain this?
By That one plant boi
It should start growing new traps soon. Grow it outside in direct sunlight for at least four hours a day. Keep the media moist at all times and have it sit in a shallow tray of distilled water. That should do the trick!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
By That one plant boi
That one plant boi wrote:It should start growing new traps soon. it could just be stressed after being repoted. Flowers tend to take a lot of energy for the plant to produce, leaving the plant with little energy to make traps. Just Grow it outside in direct sunlight for at least four hours a day and Keep the media moist at all times. Also, have it sit in a shallow tray of distilled water. That should do the trick!

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
SmartCheeseBurger wrote:Ok thanks but in the nursery where the store got the VFTs did they give them sunlight that way they might acclimate faster to the sun because they've been in direct sun before?
Probably yeah. I doubt a nursery grower wouldn't give their plants enough light. But usually for most climates in the USA and in many other parts of the world acclimating isn't too important. Even if immediately thrown in different conditions, if they are favorable the plant will only be in shock for a short while.
By penatrap
@SphagnumFromHeli
"I doubt a nursery grower wouldn't give their plants enough light."
You could say that about a dedicated CP nursery, but holy cow have you seen the local nurseries where I live? They put their VFTs in greenhouses where there's no direct sunlight at all. Basically the only thing they're doing right is they're putting the plants into a tray of water but I don't even know if it's the correct water.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
penatrap wrote:@SphagnumFromHeli
"I doubt a nursery grower wouldn't give their plants enough light."
You could say that about a dedicated CP nursery, but holy cow have you seen the local nurseries where I live? They put their VFTs in greenhouses where there's no direct sunlight at all. Basically the only thing they're doing right is they're putting the plants into a tray of water but I don't even know if it's the correct water.
I meant the people who grow the plants in the first place, not the distributors. A when plants are first being propagated they would not grow well after being taken out of tissue culture for a little bit so they are often given marginally good conditions so grow before sending them off. You can see that with a lot of nurseries like rocket farms. http://www.rocketfarms.com/flowers/venus-flytraps You can see in the pictures available that they are keeping them in enough light to keep them going. It isn't exactly ideal, but it works.
By SmartCheeseBurger
jackjeckel wrote:
SmartCheeseBurger wrote:it also has a flower.I repotted it yesterday.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere you shouldn't repot your plant while it is flowering.
I just cut off the flower and fed it today so that it wouldn't waste it's energy and so it can be strong and healthy.
By SmartCheeseBurger
Yeah but in the nursery it didn't come with any new growth. But here are my growing conditions: 6 or more hours of sun but I'm increasing it little by little so it can get acclimated to around 10 hours or less, I water every 3 days, weather is usually around 90-80F for day and 60-57F. I am in zone 9, humidity in the day is around 50-30% and humidity at night is around 70-85%. I just leave it outside in full direct sun and I'm gonna feed once or twice a week.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!