FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By iamjacksplants
I have always enjoyed the exploring stolons on Utricularia alpina. It has grown well for me epiphytically on moss covered wood and lava rock, but I wanted to try something a little more....exposed. So I have mounted a little sprig to a fir bark "slab". It has only been a week or so and it is already sinking some stolon material into the slab, so it will be interesting to see how this progresses. It is also being hardened off to room conditions in the process. I thought that might encourage the plant to seek the wet slab. Anyhow, here it is.
8/05/18
8/05/18
alpinamounted01e.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1774 times
Thanks for looking and happy growing,
-@
By Rammplins
I have noticed that too, that guys sends out feelers EVERYWHERE! I love it. I have been thinking about giving it something to crawl up, as there are a ton of stolons coming straight out of the top of the pot. Let me know how it goes!
Rammplins liked this
By iamjacksplants
I have some in a net pot with a little bit of grape vine branch stuck in the middle. I was hoping it would begin to creep up the wood, but it seems to prefer to head outwardly and up the sides of surrounding plastic pots. At first I thought the wood was too smooth but it deciding to climb the plastic debunked that theory. Go figure.

I can tell you it does well on moss covered wood. I suspect it is a moisture issue. Another reason I went with the fir bark. I had to soak it for a few days, but now it holds water like a sponge. But yeah, try it! Put something damp to moist right in the path of where it is exploring and see what it does. You can also put a little pot of moss in the path and it will slowly invade and take over and wallah - new division!

You should post a picture, it would be nice to see how that plant is progressing for you.

Happy growing,
-@.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!